Author Topic: Sale of a Lifetime  (Read 11730 times)

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
Sale of a Lifetime
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:36:14 AM »
I just ran across this on another forum and was wondering if anyone around here knew anything about this. Moderator, please forgive if this is not appropriate for this forum as there is a little "modern stuff" included.

https://www.estatesales.net/TN/Germantown/38139/1628484

Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

n stephenson

Re: Sale of a Lifetime
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 12:55:50 AM »
Man, You aint  kiddin !! That is awesome!!

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:30:48 AM »
wow - lifetime collection- lifetime sale
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 02:28:35 AM »
Amazing!  How can one get more info that just the photos.  It seems some sort of detail would be available...guess a call is in order.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 02:57:56 AM »
How can one get more info that just the photos.  It seems some sort of detail would be available
This is how these are usually conducted around here.  It's an "estate sale" with the address being given the day before the sale.  The next morning, you get a number which dictates the order you will be allowed into the sale.  The earlier your number, the better chance you have.  They only let so many buyers into the sale at a time, allowing others in as some leave.  Prices are fixed, but you can leave an offer and if the item doesn't sell, they will consider it.  Previews generally aren't allowed.  You have to be there in person or have an agent present.  I doubt there will be an individual item listing as at auctions.  You can bet that at 8am the day of the sale people will be already lined up around the block waiting for numbers.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 03:40:58 AM »
Sounds like a store not an auction. Never heard of one being ran that way.  Great collection.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 05:11:26 AM »
Wow! I may be in Memphis that weekend. I'd like to go, just to see the rifles up close.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline spgordon

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
Sounds like a store not an auction. Never heard of one being ran that way.  Great collection.

It's not an auction. It's an estate sale. I go to these sorts of things all the time in Pennsylvania and New Jersey--there are a half dozen or so within an easy drive every weekend--and they all work exactly as T*O*F* describes.

When I first looked, I thought it was in Germantown PA. No such luck!
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »
I sure wish it was closer and I didn't already have plans.  Some nice looking rifles there and I can only imagine the smalls he might have.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 04:55:11 AM »
  Wow talk about a collection....!!
 If I could make it. I'd be there at midnight or the day before.
 Seen only one other sale like this an the line was over 3 blocks long to get in....!  Oldtravler

somehippy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 10:22:06 PM »
Wow, just wow...

AeroE

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 05:33:58 AM »
I was checking in to see if this sale had been mentioned here.

I'm considering a trip to attend, but I have to admit I've never encountered an estate sale conducted as described above.  I guess this explains the reason one of the major auction houses didn't get the job, but it seems odd, an auction is more efficient for this huge number of items.  That also explains the reason I couldn't find a telephone bidding number. 

Fixing the prices ahead of time seems like a good method for having most of the inventory left after three days.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »
Tryin' not to lean over the keyboard as I drool

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 12:48:09 AM »
I haven't made up my mind to go or not. I'm not interested in going on a lark; if there isn't a reasonable chance of making a flintlock purchase it would not be worth the effort to me. I'm not looking to find something cheap, I can afford to play, but I am not willing to throw money at them.

It's half a day's drive, would need to go a day early to get a spot in line, and I don't know what to expect on pricing of guns? Have never been to a fixed price sale like this.
Will they be reasonably priced by someone knowledgeable (I know that's subjective) or "yea-haw Daddy's stuff is worth a fortune" priced by someone who is ignorant? Will they herd us through, or will there be time to look and handle items? Not knowing the answers leaves considerable doubt in my mind.

I would be interested in hearing what others think.
Carl

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 02:44:28 AM »
Carl, its all those unknown considerations and more that made myself and my buddy pull out of attending.  I think this approach might cost them several folks who would have attended but are throwing in the towel for the reasons you stated. Good luck to the rest of you.  You can have our spot in line down the block!!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 03:30:59 AM »
How can one get more info that just the photos.  It seems some sort of detail would be available
This is how these are usually conducted around here.  It's an "estate sale" with the address being given the day before the sale.  The next morning, you get a number which dictates the order you will be allowed into the sale.  The earlier your number, the better chance you have.  They only let so many buyers into the sale at a time, allowing others in as some leave.  Prices are fixed, but you can leave an offer and if the item doesn't sell, they will consider it.  Previews generally aren't allowed.  You have to be there in person or have an agent present.  I doubt there will be an individual item listing as at auctions.  You can bet that at 8am the day of the sale people will be already lined up around the block waiting for numbers.

Even if I was rolling in collection-building dollars, I don't think I'd attend such an event.  The sheer number of items and attendees will likely negate any real bargains and maximize disappointment.  Fixed pricing, cattle-call preview.  Not me.  Even though it's only 4 hours away (assuming perfect traffic).

I HOPE they all get into the hands of folks who understand preservation and sharing. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:35:00 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline debnal

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
I live about five hours from the sale and was considering going. Then I looked at the pictures again and tried to see if I could see any of the prices. The one price I found was for a North Model 1819 flint pistol. I was $3750. They can't bring a bid of $1500 on gunbroker. If all the prices are like that then it would be useless to go.
Al

n stephenson

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
Awesome collection!! Like others here , I don`t want to risk a few hour drive and , a few hours wait in line . Only to find out that they are wanting a war pension for something. I prefer an auction, if there is little interest ,you can pick up a deal , but, I`ve seen bidding wars fetch some outlandish prices also.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »
Evidently the owner of this collection has done this before, sold everything off and started over. I'm not saying that's what's going on here, because I don't know. Obviously, the owner is very well known, has a good eye, has the funds, etc.

So true, if you think your gonna offer up $125 bucks for a $5000 rifle, you'll no doubt be disappointed... On the other hand, most antique prices are currently on the low side.

John
John Robbins

Offline spgordon

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 08:43:03 PM »
Typically, prices are cheap at estate sales and everybody is happy with the procedure. It is standard. I was at one this morning in New Jersey that worked exactly like this and got exactly what I wanted (some copper pots: saw the things in the pictures posted ahead of time) at a terrific price.

If the owner or the estate sale company has overpriced the items--as may be the case, given what debnal wrote--it won't be a successful event for anybody. But if the prices are good, it'll be successful for everybody, especially the folks who do show up early, wait in line, etc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:02:16 PM by spgordon »
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 05:29:08 AM »
They will post high prices for the first day then cut price by 20% on second day then go to 50% off final day.  On some items they will put out bidding sheets.
That's the way it usually goes here at our sales like this.  I have been to several here in Memphis that were run this way.  The folks that don't know any better pay way more for items the first day than they are really worth.  Guns that aren't sold go to local gun shop and sold.
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
You can bet that Dixie Gun Works will be there buying big and there are also a lot of Civil War collectors in the area who have deep pockets and know the variants and values.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 03:57:57 AM »
If I was within a 6 Hour drive  and they had put up some good pictures of the Kentucky's where I can actually see the engraving and condition I'm sure something there would have peaked my interest.  A collection like that should've had a catalog with decent photos. There were a couple WestMoreland County looking guns that I might have Gone for. Maybe they'll have a secondary auction. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 04:19:13 AM »
[quote author=Shreckmeister  There were a couple WestMoreland County looking guns that I might have Gone for. Maybe they'll have a secondary auction. 

Rob, Maybe you can buy them from the person who buys them. I'm sure the mark up will be reasonable.
JIM

Offline Molly

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
Just hope someone attends and reports back on what everyone else missed.