Author Topic: Engraving Workshop with Tom Curran (yes, THAT Tom Curran)  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Engraving Workshop with Tom Curran (yes, THAT Tom Curran)
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:46:19 AM »
  Most will agree that a few touches of seemingly simple engraving can completely transform a project's finished appearance - but for many of us who build longrifles and related items, engraving can be one of the more difficult skills to learn, particularly without the benefit of hands-on instruction. One of the new classes that has been added to the list at Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops is a 3 day engraving workshop that will be taught by your friend and mine, ALR's own Tom Curran.
 By now most of you are probably aware of Tom's remarkable engraving skills, and if you know Tom (or at the very least have been following his recent post on Dixon's 2017) you are also aware of his dedication to the craft and his willingness to share what he has learned.
  The class is geared to the beginning / intermediate engraver - those with little or no experience are welcome to join. I'm sure Tom will jump in and give a description of what will be covered in class, so I'll take a moment here to describe the setting where the class takes place; tucked back in the hills of Southeastern Ohio, Canter's Cave is a quiet and secluded location where all the Artisan Workshop classes   are held. Working hours are very flexible and your daily meals are prepared and served on site. The price of meals and lodging (all students stay at the lodge on site) is included in your class fee. All of this makes for an ideal learning atmosphere where participants are able to completely focus on their work. For more information, check out the Southern Ohio Artisan Workshops site. This link will take you to Tom Curran's instructor page (great images of his work!) where you can access more information about the class including cost and registration -   

http://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/tom-curran.html   

If you have questions you can contact us through the site, or of course you can ask here.

September 22 - 24, 2017

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:55:08 PM by Ian Pratt »

Offline Ian Pratt

Re: Engraving Workshop with Tom Curran (yes, THAT Tom Curran)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:47:06 AM »
 I am pretty sure Tom has an air raid siren in his living room that serves as a notification alarm whenever somebody sends him a PM, so if you message Tom directly with questions about his class, make sure you wait until about 2:30 - 3:00 AM Eastern and be sure to tell him I sent you. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
Thank you for the very kind words, Mister Pratt.

Yes, it's true, I'm going to teach a class on hand engraving, primarily hammer and chisel. The most important tool of all is a sharp graver, one that will easily cut the intended workpiece. I will take you through the sharpening process, step by step, until you can consistently re-create a sharp graver.

If your graver isn't sharp, you can't engrave. Life lesson from Jerry Huddleston. If you can't reproduce that sharp graver, you aren't going to have much luck engraving.

Sound familiar?

We'll get you over that. You'll learn how to sharpen and keep your graver sharp.

I'll give you exercises about cutting the kind of line you envision for your project, be it fine shading lines, or bold deep cuts. Straight lines, parallel lines, scrolls and curves, all that good stuff you'll be able to do.

It's easy...once you know how. I'll get you through the 'how' part.

Acer (tom)

There will be some equipment purchase requirement, but not a lot. Ask for my supply sheet, I will send it to you in advance. This is stuff you will use for the rest of your life, much of it you may already have.

Email me: thoscurran(at)gmail(dot)com

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 06:39:18 PM »
The link on Tom's page is not working for me, what are the dates for the workshop?
BillP

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
The link indeed doesn't work. Go to the 'classes' menu across the top of the page.

How about this one: http://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/engraving-workshop.html

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
 Bill  - the dates are Sept 22 -24, 2017.  I just re-entered and tested the link. It works fine for me, but it was also working for me before I had re-entered it. If anybody still has trouble please let me know and we'll have a smart person figure out what the problem is.

While I'm on here causing trouble I'd also like to mention that Maryellen Pratt (think I have met her before) and Jeanne McDonald are having a Saturday / Sunday leather working class on the same weekend as Tom Curran's Friday - Sunday engraving workshop. We have already heard from a couple of people who are going to bring their spouses along with each of them taking a different class.

Jeanne and Maryellen will be focusing on making a hunting pouch and a knife sheath.You can find more information at    http://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:34:02 AM »
Might be a good chance to spend time with my buddy.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 01:46:38 AM »
Might be a good chance to spend time with my buddy.

OMG, I wish we had a "Like" button on the ALR!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 02:21:25 AM »
If it wasn't so far away, I'd come just to meet Tom. You can't beat the price.  A long time ago, I sent him some blanks and he ground me a set of 6 different profiles.  Now that I have the equipment I've done the same thing for several others.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 04:44:41 AM »
Dave, I passed out all those engraving hammer heads you so kindly donated to the log Cabin class. Great stuff.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 06:12:19 AM »
Would you let this man be your engraving instructor?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
author=David Rase link=topic=45121.msg444473#msg444473 date=1502766739]
Would you let this man be your engraving instructor?

He'll do dave... about my speed anyway.

dave

ADD: I'm going, I have made all the arrangements and am set to be there. Watch out JerryH... (not). ;o)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:43:28 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 04:32:16 PM »
I hope we will get around to engraving, after all this nonsense!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 08:52:57 PM »
Drat! Tom says I don't receive an engraved gold certificate for completing his course. Whats up with that...  :o

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 12:38:28 AM »
Dave, you can engrave your own certificate as part of your homework.  :)

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 12:20:21 AM »
Since posting this a few weeks ago, Tom's class has just about filled up. If you are considering registering for this one don't delay as there are currently only a couple of spots available. 

Mr. Rase, just saw the photo you posted there. I don't have the heart to tell Tom that there are easier ways to put your name on a bowling ball - would you mind explaining that to him?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »
I want in. Can't figure how to register. I'm even willing to pay!
Andover, Vermont