Author Topic: Can antler be threaded?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Can antler be threaded?
« on: August 05, 2017, 02:29:23 AM »
I have a nice piece of antler that I have partially turned down for a horn tip.  The question is can I thread it like a horn tip, or does it have to be pinned to the horn?   I would rather not ruin it by trying to thread it if it is unlikely to work.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Can antler be threaded?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 03:30:27 AM »
Very much depends on the antler. It is easy to thread a nice solid piece of moose or deer antler, especially if it's not old and dried out. I would experiment on something you don't mind ruining. It is done but  it is an acquired skill just like threading horn or wood.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:33:57 AM »
I have threaded deer antler, 1/2x13 for base plugs in powder horns. I made the journal extra long and tappered it so when I started the die I could get a better feel of how it might cut., When I was done I cut some of the threaded journal to fit the thickness of the base plug.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »
 If it is a Crown piece you will not have any problem since that area is solid. Sometimes you can take a tine, even with pith showing, and drill it out, as in remove the pith, I use a 17/32nds bit then tap 5/8-13.
You can, this is not HC, tap and if the threads don't look good mix up some epoxy, JB Weld, smear it in the hole, then take a bolt, coat it with Vaseline, screw it in, let it dry and remove, a little heat on the bolt may be need but not much. CA can also be used to strengthen the pith but will not take threads well.
 I will add that I do all the threading before the piece is turned to shape, while turned to just a cone or cylinder shape.
 Also, anytime you get a skull don't cut the antlers right at the base of the crown, cut down into the skull you will get an inch or so extra bone to work with.

Tim C.   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:33:02 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
I've tried threading antler with mixed results.  I've threaded a few horn tips so they'd accept the tap.  But when threading a piece of deer antler with the matching die, it wouldn't screw into the horn tip very well.  Becoming frustrated, I eventually imbedded a piece of matching bolt thread end into the antler.  Only noticeable when removed, it's not H/C but works perfectly.   
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 11:36:56 PM »
Thanks All for the responses.