Author Topic: What grit sandpaper ?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Gary

• Starting Member
What grit sandpaper ?
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
When sanding down and preparing your stocks , what grit sandpaper do you finish up with ?? Where do you call it good and start staining and finishing stock?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:11:33 PM by GDM »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: What grit sandpaper ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
For me it depends on the wood some what. Most times I go down from 100 then 150 and 220 then wisker with 4 ought steel wool at least three times.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
Used to go 320, now I find 220 to be enough.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Gary

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
Thank you Gentlemen I appreciate the info.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »
 If you're going to use aqua fortis or some other acid based stain, don't use steel wool. The minuscule particle of steel wool, get lodged in the grain of the wood and react with the acid leaving freckle on the wood. Scotch Brite won't do this.

Hungry Horse

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 10:47:33 PM »
I go down to 400, then I scrape with both steel and glass scrapers.
Tom C.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:55:10 PM »
Interesting Tom...I use scrapers to remove deep rasp marks and scratches left by 80 grit paper, which I also use in the shaping process.  Then I go to 120, 180, 220, 320 and finally 400 paper.  I often go over the wood a final time with a very fine scrape.  I use the end of a rolled up piece of heavy canvas to burnish the wood after whiskering.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
Oh, I thought no one else used sandpaper for fear of being stoned in the public square! Haha
Tom C.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 06:06:41 PM »
 I hide my sandpaper in the bottom of my underwear drawer, a dirty little secret.
Okieboy

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:48:11 AM »
T.caster, what is the thought behind sanding to 400grit then scraping?? 

Do you inlet everything a bit deep and leave the wood proud to accommodate?   Seems like you'd be removing a healthy layer of wood? 

Offline PPatch

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 03:13:19 AM »
320 and done.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 05:38:20 AM »
I have several hobbies that require up to 2000 plus grit sandpaper.  If a job requires sanding, I sand through the grits until I am satisfied with the results. 

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »
T.caster, what is the thought behind sanding to 400grit then scraping??

Mauser06: Sanding leaves sawdust in the pores of the wood. Light scraping with a microscope slide cleans it up so the grain stands out better when stained, IMHO. I just like to spend a lot of time going over it before staining. Then when it looks like it's done, I put it down til tomorrow and come back and inspect it end to end and find something I missed and can improve upon. I have lots of time and enjoy this phase of building. No hurry, no worry.

Do you inlet everything a bit deep and leave the wood proud to accommodate?   Seems like you'd be removing a healthy layer of wood?

Mauser06: Remember, I said LIGHT scraping! Most of the guns I build are early weapons, by choice, and don't have extra inlays, but I wouldn't leave an inlay standing out of the wood. Scrape up close, but not that close.
Tom C.
Tom C.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »
Thank Tom!   Makes sense.  I agree with you...that extra time spent going over it and inspecting is important...easy for some rasp tracks or sand paper marks or a tiny scratch from the corner of a scraper to show up when you apply that first coat of oil.