Author Topic: Procedure for hunting using a flintlock with set triggers  (Read 10510 times)

Offline Ray Settanta

Procedure for hunting using a flintlock with set triggers
« on: August 06, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »
I intend to hunt for small and large game in the upcoming season using a flintlock with double set triggers. Since the only muzzleloading guns that I have used for hunting were double barreled SxS shotguns, what is the proper procedure for hunting safely with a rifle?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Procedure for hunting using a flintlock with set triggers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
Triggers unset and lock at 1/2 cock. When you're ready to shoot, set the triggers and cock the lock.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:09:50 PM »
Mike and I are on the same page...but I bring lock to full cock, then set the triggers.  Also, if you shoot from your pouch all the time, rather than a range box or your pockets, you will be set up perfectly for hunting - you won't have to think about loading.   Your hands will automatically go where they need to.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
If the lock is at half or full cock, is there any chance that the hammer could be released to fire the gun? Say, if a branch hit it or I dropped the gun. Or am I being too paranoid?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »
If the lock is at half or full cock, is there any chance that the hammer could be released to fire the gun? Say, if a branch hit it or I dropped the gun. Or am I being too paranoid?
The lock should not be brought to full cock unless you have a target spotted and are going to shoot. Theoretically, your gun should be "safe" at 1/2 cock. You "should" be able to drop the gun upside downie on the cock and it "should" not go off at 1/2 cock. At full cock you should always consider the gun may go off if the cock were hit, I'm say it would, I'm saying it might.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »
Mike and I are on the same page...but I bring lock to full cock, then set the triggers.  Also, if you shoot from your pouch all the time, rather than a range box or your pockets, you will be set up perfectly for hunting - you won't have to think about loading.   Your hands will automatically go where they need to.
Come to think on it, I do it that way too! :o

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »
X3
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Dave Patterson

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »

You can test the half-cock notch yourself, at home.  Just make sure you have a flint (or wooden "flint") in the cock (to keep from damaging your lock), and the frizzen closed, before you start trying to make the half-cock notch fail on you.  And I sure wouldn't suggest you hammer on the cock itself; that'd be an excellent way to break it.

With your lock in full-cocked position, yes:  it'd be pretty easy to find a way to accidentally trip the trigger and fire the piece. That's why you NEVER go to "full-cocked" position, and definitely never set your triggers, until you're ready to destroy whatever's in front of the muzzle.

I'd suggest you pull your lock out of the mortise, and watch how the whole guts work:  should be pretty easy to see what we're all saying, that way.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »
am I being too paranoid?
If you are, you can always use a hammerstall.  It is a small leather hood which fits over the frizzen and is attached by a thong to the trigger guard.  It obviates any chance of an accidental firing.  In use, you would cock the hammer, flip the stall off with your thumb, cock the trigger and fire.  In practice, it doesn't add that much time to your shooting procedure.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 12:42:06 AM »
Thanks everybody for the great information. So, it appears that in a properly functioning rifle, it should be safe to carry the rifle on half cock with the triggers unset. I have been trained in the past not to rely on the half-cock notch as a safety. It's good to know that this is not a concern. I like the idea of a hammerstall. I will try that if I feel the need.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 12:52:15 AM »
Cold weather hunting?watch that hair trigger when set,don't want an oops when sliding that heavy gloved finger onto the front trigger :(

nosrettap1958

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 05:24:46 AM »
I sometimes pull the hammer to full cock and set the trigger but there are times, for whatever reason, I just don't take a shot.  After pulling the hammer back to full cock and setting the trigger if I end up not shooting I always flip the pan up, squeeze the trigger and slowly bring the hammer all the way forward then back to half cock.  Gives you a chance to check the pan powder also and run a pick through the flash hole if I think I need to.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 07:09:10 AM »
I do the same....pan charged, half cock.   See Bullwinkle coming I crack the hammer back... Bullwinkle gets near where I want to shoot him and I set the trigger.  He gives me the shot and I touch her off. 

Bullwinkle doesn't give me the shot or whatever I do like crawdad...gently flip the frizzen open, hold the hammer and release the trigger and let the hammer down under my power. 

I don't keep much of a glove on my right hand regardless of how cold it is or what I'm hunting with.  Sometimes something thin and tight fitting on real cold days but nothing that hinders my feeling. 

nosrettap1958

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:24:21 AM »
Same here Mauser,  I only wear my right hand glove occasionally regardless of how cold it is. I just keep that right hand glove close in a convenient location and put it on sometimes to warm my right hand back up.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 08:17:27 AM »
I cock the hammer, then set the trigger - whether caplock or flint using set triggers.

For a fast running shot, no setting of trigger needed.

Note- if I have to shoot left handed for ANY reason, I never set the trigger, always getting perfect hits if I don't.

I am likely to flinch & miss if I set the trigger and know when it's going off.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:18:52 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Turtle

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
 If you set the trigger first, you can't hold the front trigger back and have a silent cock. That click of the sear going into it's notch can sound real loud and I have had it spook deer. The soft click of the set trigger is not a problem if you choose to use it.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
Looks like I'll have to practice these procedures a bit at home before I take it to the range to fire it.

Turtle

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »
Pulling the trigger back before you cock to reduce noise  creates the possibility of an accidental discharge if your thumb slips off the hammer, so be careful and be certain the gun is pointed in a safe direction. I do it with the muzzle pointed down and then raise the gun on target.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:11:07 AM by Turtle »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 08:38:10 PM »
If I'm moving in the bush, such as going to and from my "stand", I keep the lock on half cock and a hammer stall on the frizzen; I have them on all my flintlocks.  Once I'm settled in at my chosen spot, I put the lock on full cock.  The hammer stall stays on and the trigger unset.  If a shot is presented the hammer stall comes off and the trigger is set.  If I don't shoot I do as crawdad describes.

I seldom wear gloves.  I keep my hands in my pockets and if it's cold; I use a couple of those disposable "shake & bake" warmers.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »
I will sit on a stand with my gun at full cock and triggers unset especially if I'm in a ground blind or low tree stand. Our woods are pretty thick and a 30 yard shot is on the long end so the click of the sear is enough to spook.
If I am hunting with a single trigger I sit on half cock and hold tension on my trigger as I go to full cock to quiet the engagement.
When I leave a stand I empty the pan 'till I'm set and on the ground or climbed out of my hide. Walking is usually a half cock thing, especially if there is snow, I've gone down holding my rifle before and it's never pretty or very well controlled.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »

The function of the "half cocked" position is to hold firm against the
torque generated by the mainspring. It id NOT a safety as we consider
the idea on a modern gun because a hard pull on the trigger can defeat ANY
so called safety on a muzzle loader lock.Carrying a muzzle loader at full cock
while walking is a prescription for tragedy at worst or a bad scare at best.
IF the trigger must be set before the lock can be cocked,get a competent
muzzle loading gunsmith or maker to see what is wrong.

Bob Roller

n stephenson

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 04:17:15 AM »
As long as you get the muzzle out the truck window , it doesn't matter the sequence of cockin an sech!!

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »
When sitting in a deer stand I will often be at full cock but I always have a hammer stall on the rifle. I use one nearly all the time, up in a tree, walking, all the time. They act as a sorta secondary safety. How well do they work? If the flint hits the leather before the frizzen the rifle will not go off, it digs into the leather and stops right there.
Last year a bunch of hogs walked up on me and there was a large boar in the group. I was using a stick and got real steady on him and pulled the trigger. All I heard was a soft sound from the lock. I had forgotten to remove the hammer stall.
They are not foolproof but better than a bare frizzen.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Turtle

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 03:06:08 PM »
I have one rifle with a single phase, double set trigger which can't be quietly cocked. When sitting I also have it on full cock with a frizzen stall on, but never when moving.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 05:57:03 PM »
 I would suggest tuning up the lock and triggers, so you can shoot well without setting the triggers. Adrenaline and set triggers is a poor combination in my opinion.

Hungry Horse