Author Topic: Procedure for hunting using a flintlock with set triggers  (Read 10513 times)

Offline bgf

Re: Procedure for hunting using a flintlock with set triggers
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 09:07:54 PM »
Setting up for unset use is great, but it really starts at the time the gun is built.  Trigger selection and placement are fairly critical to how good you can get unset operation.  My all around flintlock was built with L&R triggers and very careful attention to unset pull.  It is usable.  My chunk gun was built with Davis trigger and little attention to unset operation, though it looks like it's placed pretty much the same.  Unset operation is only for shop or emergency use (eg, decocking) on it.  If I recall, the bars on the L&R triggers are higher, which probably accounts for some of the difference.

I guess all I'm saying is that some rifles may not fire unset well enough for practical use with any amount of tuning, so using set is only choice.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
Although I usually use the set trigger on a gun, I have three rifles that have nice enough trigger pulls, unset; I have that choice and like the option.  One rifle has such a "techy" set trigger that I never use it set for safety's sake.  Most of my rifles have "set" weights of from 12oz to maybe 16oz.  So they are only set when a shot is presented.  Even my single trigger smoothbore has a light, crisp trigger pull.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 11:57:11 PM »
I would suggest tuning up the lock and triggers, so you can shoot well without setting the triggers. Adrenaline and set triggers is a poor combination in my opinion.

Hungry Horse

HH is absolutely right about Adrenaline and set triggers.If I were going to hunt
again with a muzzle loader it would be a 2 band Enfield,58 caliber,single trigger
under a revamped and tuned lock + the benefit of sling swivels.Patched ball
or hollow base .001 over land diameter to prevent it from migrating from the
powder.Easy to handle musket cap for cold fingers if need be.
If I were going to build or have built a muzzle loader dedicated only to hunting,
a single trigger with a light feather spring to keep the trigger release bar lightly
against the sear arm.
I have made a LOT of set triggers,finished 3 today but I make them to sell,
not to use on anything I am making.

Bob Roller

Offline heelerau

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 12:39:17 AM »
I have hunted for years with rifles that have set triggers, mostly rabbits, foxes and kangaroos,   half cock and unset, only cock and set when about to engage the target. If the opportunity is missed and no shot,  I put my hand over the cock in such a manner that allows me to then trigger it and then re set the cock back to the half bent that is for the cap lock, for the flintlocks I first flip the frizzed forward then do the same with the cock, careful as the flint is sharp and also you can check the priming. I have 1 rifle that only fires with the set trigger having been set, that is a bit painful as the other two rifles can be shot with the choice of either set or unset. As Bob R suggests adrenaline can be an issue, it that be the case I go unset.   I have an english ball rifle with a crisp 11 pound pull this rifle was likely used for tiger and the like in British India, I am guessing the heavy pull was to counter nervous trigger fingers !
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:43:19 AM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 04:20:10 AM »
set triggers for hunting are highly over rated in my opinion.  Just as demonstrated by the gymnastics described above.  Simple trigger, or unset trigger is enough to manage.  Set triggers are for shooting matches.  Half cock notches are not a safety but are about the only option available on a flintlock unless you have one of the late English originals with built in safety slide and I am not sure how effective those are because I have no experience shooting them.   Stalls are good!  Flintlock longrifles are a primitive firearm which we all know.  Takes special care to be safe with one as soon as you pick one up. 

Turtle

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:13 PM »
 I agree with Jerry mostly. When walking and getting a quick shot I always use the front trigger only, but when sitting and  I can take my time and the shot is long I use the set.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 11:39:21 PM »
set triggers for hunting are highly over rated in my opinion.  Just as demonstrated by the gymnastics described above.  Simple trigger, or unset trigger is enough to manage.  Set triggers are for shooting matches.  Half cock notches are not a safety but are about the only option available on a flintlock unless you have one of the late English originals with built in safety slide and I am not sure how effective those are because I have no experience shooting them.   Stalls are good!  Flintlock longrifles are a primitive firearm which we all know.  Takes special care to be safe with one as soon as you pick one up.

I make them as I said earlier but I can't figure out why so many old rifles
had them when they had no sights worthy of the name.
Half cock notches are thought to be an assist when loading and the idea is
that compressing a column of air that might push the dry,light powder up under the nipple.
The English locks,both flint and percussion use the slide safety as sort of a back up for each
other.The Whitworth I used for 11 years had both and when the rifle fired and rotated up in recoil
I would half cock it and engage the sliding safety in one motion.I don't know if the sliding safety
would hold very well or not if the tumbler safety was broken.

Bob Roller

Online BJH

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 05:33:17 PM »
Even though none of my rifles have set triggers all of my hunting guns have hammer stalls. I feel that set triggers in a blue a$$ cold hunting environment are a hazard. All my guns have their triggers set up at about 2.5 to 3 lb pulls. I teach hunter Ed, we all ways stress half cock notches are not safety's. Here in Pa. our flintlock season is after Christmas. Nearly all ways seriously cold. Cold fingers and set triggers and half cock fumbles result in a number of negligent discharges. A simple device made from the finger of a leather glove would prevent a large percentage of these. That's why any rifle I build is shipped with a hammer stall fitted to the frizzen and attached to the trigger guard. Hammer stalls are a must have safety device in my opinion. BJH
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:35:31 PM by BJH »
BJH

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 04:57:46 AM »
While I agree with most if not all that is said regarding the half cock as not being a true safety and set triggers for hunting, etc.  I believe there is absolutely no substitute for being proficient with your weapon of choice, be it a flintlock longbow, centerfire rifle, etc..  I too live in PA and am fortunate enough to enjoy our late "flintlock" only season.  I can't tell you how may times I hear from other hunters about their guns not going off, or "this gun couldn't hit the broadside of a barn" or heaven forbid - "if only they would make inlines legal in the flintlock season".  It all boils down to spending time on the bench or at the range, alone or in club shoots, learning, knowing and becoming proficient with your weapon. 

Turtle

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
 When teaching hunter safety, I tell my students that any safety is only one more layer of safety, and no substitute for poor gun handling.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:05:33 PM by Turtle »

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2017, 03:25:12 PM »
When I reenacted years ago, one of the safety procedures we went through before a tactical was the safety officer would either pull your trigger while halfcock to see if it would go off, or have you suspend your gun while at halfcock by its trigger, putting the entire weight of the gun on the trigger. If any movement happened you were not allowed to field. Just something we used to do to verify halfcock was a safe position while you moved. We also had hammer stalls.
That being said, my little jaeger had set triggers, but I only used it while sighting in, never for hunting. Now that I'm restocking it, I'm not even using the set trigger.
Greg

Turtle

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
 Yep, at reenactments at fort Niagara I attended the command was "hang em". You held your gun suspended only by the trigger on half cock.