Author Topic: Help, Goodoien barrel shooters!  (Read 10303 times)

nosrettap1958

Re: Help, Goodoien barrel shooters!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 01:52:24 AM »
Rereading his posts it doesn't seem to me that he has changed his patch thickness. But he's darn near tried everything else.

Maybe its just a bad barrel. One in a million but a bad barrel just the same.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:55:26 AM by crawdad »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 08:17:08 AM »
Rereading his posts it doesn't seem to me that he has changed his patch thickness. But he's darn near tried everything else.

Maybe its just a bad barrel. One in a million but a bad barrel just the same.

Could be a ';bad' barrel, BUT - he needs to test with a real patch.  By that, I mean that I do not consider .012" to .015" thick patches as real patches. 12 to 15 thou. is not thick enough to use as a cleaning patch, let alone expecting it to shoot well and seal as a 'target' - shooting patch.

10 ounce denim might change the accuracy entirely.  Even 8 ounce that I measure at .018" might work, with bore size only about 2 thou larger than the balls.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:12:12 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

nosrettap1958

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
I agree and possibly the only load combination he hasn't tried yet to tighten these groups.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 06:07:03 PM »
As often happens, we keep thinking about a topic after the original poster has lost interest or made a decision. Hope we hear an update as finding an accurate load is something we all work on.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
One thing I did not see mentioned was the material he is using to cast balls. His mention of sprues makes me think he is casting his own.  If he is not using pure soft lead it can cause his loading difficulties as well as  the erratic performance.  Soft lead and thicker patches is my recommendation
  I will dispute his claim the experience shooting 22 benchrest qualifies his expertise
 I shot ML cross stick and bench for 40 years and switched to 22 BR 15 years ago when my eyesight hindered the open sight shooting
  There is almost no similarity in technique  for the two  Just resting a different spot on the barrel or forearm will change the point of impact   The rests used on the rimfire game eliminate that variable