Author Topic: To build or buy?  (Read 7799 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: To build or buy?
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 11:21:05 PM »
Tip advertises in the classified's of Muzzle Blasts and I think Muzzleloader Mag.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 11:49:38 PM »
burnt..."Tread carefully! Building is more an addiction than a singular satisfying activity."

yeah, that about says it.   You might try a visit to a place like Dixons because your Large and a half will go a long way toward something hanging off the ceiling.

It's also hard living with your mistakes that no one else will see, so you flip the gun and try another, buying more tools along the way.  And more tools along the way. And more tools along the way.  Then there's the videos and books...

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 03:07:16 AM »
   If you want to have a rifle, then buy one. If you want to build a rifle, then get a kit. I think that you are not going to save any money by building. In the end, a kit would cost more after buying tools and such. And if you took the time it takes to build a nice rifle and spent that time delivering pizza instead, you would make enough money to buy one anyway. But you will enjoy a rifle you build yourself, even if it is mediocre, more than you will ever enjoy a rifle you bought no matter how nice it is.

Offline taco650

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 03:35:45 AM »
I went through this thought process over the past year myself.  I'll admit I always leaned toward building even though I didn't have all the tools and I eventually decided to "build" one of the very cheap Traditions Kentucky kits.  It's cheezy with the two piece stock but I'm enjoying the process.  The reason I went with building is because I enjoy making things and most of my jobs over the past 30 years have required fix or build things.  I find the process very rewarding.  But this is me.  You do what works best for you.

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 05:07:27 AM »
Unfortunately thimble rig, Barton, Vermont is a bit more' a day drive to Kentucky. But someday maybe. When the time is right a call to Dixons and Mr. Curtis is definitely going to happen. Who knows maybe a trip south is in my future sooner than I thought.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »
Tip has a great selection of in the white guns left or right hand. He does not take orders anymore, he just builds what he wants to and sells them. Tip says he builds over 130 styles of guns. I own a 16 gauge fowler and his pre revolution war style .54 cal rifle. Both are great guns and his prices can't be beat. Most guns are in the $1200 to $1500 range. Give him a call 615-654-4445. His shop is just North of Nashville Tn. Tip still goes to a few Rendezvous , and has a place at Friendship and is there for the Spring and Fall shoots. I'm not sure if he travels up to the NE or not. Tip is in and out of the shop so if you don't get an answer keep trying you won't sorry. He builds 4 guns at a time and has a great selection of parts and kits available if you decide to build. Building a gun is not for everyone, if you don't have any tooling your looking at several hundred dollars buying tools,books and videos . If you do make a trip South , Tips place in Cross Plains Tn. is just off I-65. Track of the Wolf also has some great used guns posted from time to time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:30:42 PM by Smo »
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline utseabee

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 03:18:23 AM »
If you do assemble a kit or build a rifle, I doubt you will stop at just one.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Dave Patterson

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 07:52:22 PM »
I you're in this for one gun I'd have somebody build it. If you're considering a gun building hobby than you might consider doing your own, of course it will be years and quite a few guns before you're satisfied with your work...

Pretty much says it all, right there, other than which/what kits are viable options for a first-time/one-time build.

I'm only (struggling) with learning to build due to a life-long desire to build my own, and a recent change in employer that unexpectedly enabled the addiction... but just getting set up is a lot more expensive than I'd expected, despite never having any intention of ever earning a living off my product, and even after a 45 years of dreaming and planning. 

Reference materials alone can easily run into several hundred - or several thousand - bucks, right there:  nobody seems to have done a reference that dwells solely on my two primary areas of interest, so I find I'm buying many references by a variety of authors, and comparing their 1- or 2-page studies of a very few rifles to learn the subtle traits that stamp them for their schools of origin.

On the other hand, I'm getting closer to producing what I wanted to produce.

So:  I refer you to Mr B's comment, above. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:01:53 AM by Dave Patterson »

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 12:45:08 AM »
Simple question with a simple answer.....Buy .

If you are a tinkerer and have the passion and the long term commitment by all means build but in the end a good custom rifle is worth the money you spend.It's ultimately much much cheaper than building which is not unlike an addiction to many akin to gambling or crack. Just sayin' Don't go cheap on the parts .

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
Aye, that's the conclusion I've been brought to m'self. I Thank y'all for the fine input.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
  The question should be ,,What do I do first   build or buy ? the bug is planted,you just have to figure out which you do first. Buy and go shooting or take the time to build and then go shooting.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
I do both, build and buy! ;D

Buying a well made rifle by a talented builder has given me much shooting pleasure as well as ideas for my own builds.

Then there are the antique originals!!

Holy smokes, you have opened up a can of worms with your inquiry!   

There is no cure for this addiction and the farther down the rabbit hole you get the more fun you have!
Joel Hall

Smoketown

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »
I saved my money and bought a finished rifle and she's a 'beaut'.

You DON'T want to see what I can do to anyone's "kit gun" and, I HAD all of the proper tools!!!

Had some great tutors too.

I'm just not a 'wood person' ... Unless of course,  you need kindling or fire wood.   :o

Cheers,
Smoketown

Edit - spelun'   ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:48:14 PM by Smoketown »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »
I saved my money and bought a finished rifle and she's a 'beaut'.

You DON'T want to see what I can do to anyone's "kit gun" and, I HAD all of the proper tools!!!

Had some great tutors too.

I'm just not a 'wood person' ... Unless of course,  you need kindling or fire wood.   :o

Cheers,
Smoketown

Edit - spelun'   ;)

Sounds like you made the right decision for YOU.  ;D

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?