Author Topic: Rounding octagonal corners?  (Read 4387 times)

hannibal smith

Rounding octagonal corners?
« on: August 08, 2017, 02:13:55 AM »
I have noticed that when some builders "antique" or distress their builds the rounding off or smoothing of the octagonal flat corners can be quite pronounced.

Does this represent years of use, or just how that particular school did it when the originals were brand new?

If it pertains to certain schools or types (English Fowlers etc.), are there some basic guidelines?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:14:43 AM by hannibal smith »

Offline Mauser06

Re: Rounding octagonal corners?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:43:04 AM »
I don't think any of us here were around to k ow what the ORIGINALS looked like coming off the bench....

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:48:43 AM »
I've been surprised a couple times by sharp corners on an original flintlock.  RCA #42 comes to mind.

Good antiquing will show varied wear.  More at the balance point where it's carried, for example.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:20:15 PM »
To my eye razor sharp corners do not look "real".  After I drawfile I use burgandy scotchbrite.  It wrap it around the barrel and work it hard.  I put strong pressure on the flats but make not effort to keep it off the corners.  The final blending looks very good to my eye.  I would  not intientionally file the corners. 

I once worked over an original "94 lever action to #600 grit.  I made the octagon flats as perfect as I could and left the corners razor sharp.  The whole thing ended up looking really fake.  Later Doug Turnbull gave me some pointers on how he does it.  Razor sharp perfect flats and high shine are not on his menu. 

That translates to long rifles.   

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:47:35 PM »
To my way of thinking i want my guns to be hunted with. Or shot   I slightly round the corners. Not real heavily but I'm thinking it might help cut back on any glare or light reflected that might give me away

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 03:28:32 AM »
 there was no standard back then. Every gun maker did his own thing. It also depended on what the customer wanted to pay for.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 04:38:23 AM »
I normally dress the corners off just a bit, enough that the browning or blueing finish will survive on the corners in use. This amounts to one or two careful draw file strokes. I'm guessing .010 flat/ radious. BJH
BJH

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
If an original has consistent rounded bbl corners, I think it was intentionally done.... even heavy usage doesn't produce that. Steel {iron} doesn't  wear off that easily.

I noticed that when drawfiling a bbl, a burr is produced at the corner...this is removed when going over the 5 flats of the bbl w/ 220 grit paper before browning. .....Fred

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 05:53:55 AM »
I am not sure if Mike Gahagan is on here but I saw a beautiful rifle he did for Jim Chambers a few years ago and his barrel corners were rounded and mildly antiqued. They looked great and his rifle could pass for a well taken care of original. It would me interesting to get Mike's take on this subject
elkhorne

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
I saw that Gahagan rifle as well, and it has a nice worn-in feel to it. I believe it is a Salem, NC style rifle if I remember correctly. A real beauty. Best wishes, Marc

hannibal smith

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 10:07:06 PM »
Thanks all!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 01:29:39 AM »
I round the corners on all the barrels I use. Two reason's, it helps replicate age, (look at old guns) and two sharp barrel corners look really harsh.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 04:19:07 AM »
I've been surprised a couple times by sharp corners on an original flintlock.  RCA #42 comes to mind.

Good antiquing will show varied wear.  More at the balance point where it's carried, for example.

#42 had very little wear of any sort.   The carving is almost as sharp as the day it was carved.   I think it came out of an English collection where it was a spool of war and had little if any use.   

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »
For me, rounded corners are more comfortable to cary.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 08:12:53 PM »
After I was done with the file I knocked the sharp edges down.Didn't round them over per say,just not as harsh.If I was going for that aged look,wood,metal,I would round them over a little more.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
As far as rounded octagonal corner go, A. Verner did this, to at least one rifle, the one Taylor emulated.

upload your photos

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:19:53 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Vomitus

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »
   Didn't John Phillip Beck round his edges on some rifles?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 10:57:29 PM »
Daryl, you just like showing that rifle off. I understand. Too good to hide!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:59:06 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 11:47:49 PM »
The old timers weren't rounding barrel corners. What you're seeing is a couple hundred years of wear.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?