Author Topic: 40 cal golden age arms  (Read 6140 times)

Offline bowkill

40 cal golden age arms
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
Any info on this 40 cal rifle would be very interesting. Got a little info but not much..

μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline bowkill

Re: 40 cal golden age arms
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:32:38 AM »
Shot it the other day about 20 times and it will nearly shoot in the same hole at 35 yards every time... A keeper..

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:01:53 PM »
It looks like a nice rifle you have there.  And an accurate rifle is always a good rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

n stephenson

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:01:25 AM »
Bowkill, I wish I could help with the ID but, not familiar with the maker. Just based on the pictures alone, I would speculate that it was probably made sometime between the 1960s and the early 80s . I only say this because it puts me in that mindset when I view the photos . The finish left over the pewter cap looks very much like TRU OIL , but , I could easily be wrong. Regardless of when made or by whom , it appears to be nicely made and you have already stated the most important feature SHE WILL SHOOT!!!  Congrats on your find!    Nate

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:50:06 PM »
A short time ago there was another gun that popped up here with that same lock and stamp. Don't remember what was said about it but somebody ID'd it. I'd say that gun is the product of the 60's or 70's.
 Be careful with it, that grain in the wrist runs pretty sharp!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bowkill

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:59:59 AM »
This was the same gun that was in another thread. Did not want to hijack the other thread.. Funny you said that mike i was shooting this gun the other day and was looking at the gun and thought to myself that the grain kinda sucks through the wrist. Guess i better be very carefull with this one..

Smoketown

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
Be careful with it, that grain in the wrist runs pretty sharp!

Funny you said that mike i was shooting this gun the other day and was looking at the gun and thought to myself that the grain kinda sucks through the wrist. Guess i better be very carefull with this one..

If it's NOT a "high dollar" collector piece and just a shooter, "rod it" before you damage it.   ;)

The easiest way is to pull the barrel and drill down through the wrist toward the butt and epoxy a length of all-thread into the hole.    ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 06:31:08 AM »
I had a feeling of "DeJaVoo", thinking that I had already posted info about possibly the maker or the at least the lock maker.

The inscription on the lock reads:
MADE BY                 (Guessing on the first line)
RAY L. MORGAN
DALTON, GA

I knew Mr Morgan as pistol shooter on the national line at Friendship in the '80's. I bought a revolver cylinder press, which I still use today. The same inscription, with the exception of "Made By", is on the press.

I had no idea he was a gunmaker (or maybe just a lockmaker). I'd guess '60's or '70's.

Hope this helps.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Harrympope

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »
I just bought this gun at auction.lock plate is brass I've never seen that before.also I have to set the trigger before cocking it or it won't engage the notches.(seller was  honest about it )

big question-  can it easily be converted to a flint lock? Put liner where nipple drum is and replace lock? How do I find a lock that's close to the profile of the one on the gun?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:56:37 PM by Harrympope »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 12:00:20 AM »
Putting in a touch hole liner is the super easy part.  Finding a flint lock that fits or can be reasonably made to fit is the rub.  Check TOtW.  Their catalog has full size photos of various locks that you can trace off and decide.  L&R has a slew of replacement locks to check on.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline jaeren

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 12:43:10 AM »
If all else fails , Chambers has the gun makers lock:
http://www.flintlocks.com/locks6.htm

Ed

Harrympope

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 12:46:48 AM »
If all else fails , Chambers has the gun makers lock:
http://www.flintlocks.com/locks6.htm

Ed

Thanks, it would be nice to be able to match it to my existing inlet and have a convertible.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:47:13 AM by Harrympope »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »
I just bought this gun at auction.lock plate is brass I've never seen that before.also I have to set the trigger before cocking it or it won't engage the notches.(seller was  honest about it )

big question-  can it easily be converted to a flint lock? Put liner where nipple drum is and replace lock? How do I find a lock that's close to the profile of the one on the gun?

This was a very heavy percussion bench rifle with a really large shop made lock that the owner wanted to convert to flint.
Used the full sized photos from TOW catalog to find a lock with the right hammer throw and pan location. Then thewelding and filing started.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »
More photo posting problems   I think it worked this time.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine