Author Topic: Pouring A Pewter Band On A Handle/W The Use Of Modeling Clay  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 I apologize up front for the quality of the Pix, unfortunately they were a one time shot. Hopefully you will be able to get the idea.
 The biggest thing I wanted to get out is the use of the Bakeable Modeling clay I used to make the dam.
Trade name "Sculpey", it works really well, a lot easier and more dependable than trying to tape up gaps.
The one Pic is of a piece of Manila folder with two cuts at either end, when folded/overlapped and taped around the handle they will give you the opening, see Pic. Then the clay is rolled out and wrapped around the two tabs, there are no end pieces the clay acts as that part of the dam. Press the clay all around, I put a screw driver in the hole when pressing over the grove to keep from flattening that area out. Pic with paper of and rough shaped.
 This is a basic design, points or half moons could be added to the grove. Pencil lead rubbed in the grove will help the Pewter flow.
 I use a large spoon with the bowl bent into a "V" shape to melt and pour the Pewter, using a stick to steady it like a sign painter would brace his brush.
 Hope this is helpful.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:53:17 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
Re: Pouring A Pewter Band On A Handle/W The Use Of Modeling Clay
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »
This is awesome!
Thank you for posting this tutorial.
I have been thinking about attempting this on a few knife handles.
Perfect timing  :D

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
Tim,
Where did you buy that clay? I once used some clay my wife had left over from her working with kids at our church. I figured this would work great, made the biggest mess you have even seen! The clay went gooey when the heat hit it, pewter ran everywhere!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »
Tim,
Where did you buy that clay? I once used some clay my wife had left over from her working with kids at our church. I figured this would work great, made the biggest mess you have even seen! The clay went gooey when the heat hit it, pewter ran everywhere!
Dennis

I picked it up at Hobby Lobby but I have seen it at Michaels too.

Tim

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
Sculptey, and Craftsmart, bakeable clays are the same item. Once formed and baked in the oven, they become a durable hard mold. I started using this stuff as a mold for plastic model resins, but soon found low melting point metals can be caste in these quick and easy onetime molds. This stuff is not good for large castings, or metals with a high melting points, but works fine for pewter inlays, thumbpieces, and similar items.

Hungry Horse

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »
Tim,
Dennis

I picked it up at Hobby Lobby but I have seen it at Michaels too.

Tim

Wal-mart has it too.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:21:15 PM »
Thanks will check WalMart first since its closer but if they don't have it there is a HobbyLobby north of  the James (where I can venture when my shots are current) ;D
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »
Dennis;

I found it a Michael's, but not a Walmart. Of course that's out here on the other coast.
 By the way you can make two piece molds out of this stuff, by making a mold box from Leggo's.Fill it half full with the clay, press whatever you want to model half way into the clay, make a cap of clay,press it down firmly enough to accept the modeled part, but not so hard that you get a solid bond with the two clay surfaces. Now let it dry for a while, and then cut along the center seam to separate the two mold halves. Now bake the two pieces, and you have a primitive mold.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »
I was going to Michael's today after going to the gym but was too tired and hungry. Will pick it up tomorrow if I have time. I checked Walmart's website and here is a link to it: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sculpey-III-Polymer-Clay-2oz/35649424

Here it is at Michael's http://www.michaels.com/search?q=sculpey

I have a tomahawk that I poured pewter all around the handle/head and one of the points did not fill out all the way. I just sat it aside with the intention of trying to repair it layer but never did. Seeing how Tim fixed his void I intend to try the same thing with the Hawk.
Dennis
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:07:54 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 08:54:29 AM »
I used chewing gum in place of the clay to do this once. It was worked, but WOW, what an incredible mess. The nearest Hobby Lobby is over hour away, but I think it would have been worth the drive to get clay 😀