Author Topic: cows knee  (Read 1867 times)

Offline smylee grouch

cows knee
« on: August 09, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »
Over the years I have made a few cows knee's and used other make shift alternatives for keeping my locks dry. I almost always lose them so now I am in need of another one. I have a good sized chunk of brain tanned deer hide that I plan on using but was wondering how everyone else goes about making one. Also do you water proof the seams, the whole thing or what and what do you use to do so? The deer hide I have has been smoked and is very supple.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: cows knee
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 03:07:59 AM »
 ;) ;).... I've only seen a couple original ones, passed down through family members, with original Tennessee rifles and trappings .... they are made of thin rawhide molded to shape of the lock area.... maybe coon or groundhog rawhide .....???

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
I haven't found brain tanned hides to be great for a cow's knee, and prefer oil tanned leather or raw hide .  My fowling gun now wears a lock area cover [ "cows knee " ] made from heavy linen and bees wax. It's the best I've tried.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
Thanks for that input Bob, I had actually thought about some heavy cloth like denim or canvas and bees wax but thought it might end up a little too stiff. It sounds like it would shed water quite well though.