Author Topic: kibler kit  (Read 3275 times)

Offline little joe

kibler kit
« on: August 10, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
A friend came by with his Kibler kit and the stock is ready for 220 and 320 sand paper. The inletting is superb in all areas except the butt plate and some fit up is required  and as you fit it, the screw holes become miss aligned  and he had to plug them and redrill. I think Jim would be better off not drilling the holes in the wood. Other than that a very superb kit and should make a fine rifle.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: kibler kit
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 03:29:54 PM »
Just finished installing the birthplace buttplate on one of Jim's kits. The plate had a gap at the top and I thought for sure I would have to plug holes and drill new but I was able to use off-topic original holes and it fits perfectly now.
Dennis
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 08:19:53 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline little joe

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »
 Dennis Could explain off topic holes to me. I have never heard that term used.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 04:26:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  We're always trying to make our kits the best they can possibly be so information like this is always good. 

As to buttplate hole alignment, I'm not certain what to think...  I've assembled at least a half dozen this year and taught a class where another 8-10 were assembled and we didn't have this problem.  With that said, you aren't the first person to express this concern.

I have thoughts on what the issue might be...  As Dennis mentioned, the holes don't look perfectly centered  when the buttplate is resting on the stock.  This is intentional as it helps the buttplate be pulled downward and forward when screwing in place.  So don't let this apparent misalignment scare you.  I simply put the wood screws in place and the heads seem to always snug into the counter-bore as they should.  There is of course the chance the holes were mis-drilled in the stock, but given our process and experience I don't suspect this.

The buttplates do generally require a little bit of fitting.  The reason for this is that these are castings and typically come from the foundry somewhat bent and distorted.  I straighten each one, but it's not possible to get them such that there would be a perfect fit initially. 

As to leaving holes un-drilled this presents problems as well.  It's not always easy for assemblers to drill a hole in the appropriate spot which can shift the buttplate when screwing in place.  With the near finished stock, there's not much room for movement.

I hope this helps.  I'm honestly not dismising you concern, these are just my thoughts on the matter.  As with many issues I often wish I could be there to offer guidance or assistance, but that's not these things usually work.  We do hope to offer free videos detailing assembly at some point and are hoping these will help.

All the best,
Jim

Hemo

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »
Installing a birthplace is a little confusing too--I don't think he's really building an obstetric facility.  ;D

Gregg

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »
Installing a birthplace is a little confusing too--I don't think he's really building an obstetric facility.  ;D

Gregg

I believe Dennis is in the grip of the dreaded auto Spellchecker. I'm sure he will catch the problem sooner rather than later.

dave
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:51:41 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »
OK, corrections to auto-correct are done! All thanks to the auto-correct feature on my tablet! Its strange, my phone will auto-correct as soon as I finish typing a word, if I backspace it goes back to the original spelling and if I click on that word it stays as originally spelled, but the tablet leaves things alone and for some strange reason when I make the post it sometimes changes correctly spelled words to some off the wall thing like it did on this post. I need to remember to proof the post after it posts!
Dennis

Just finished installing the birthplace buttplate on one of Jim's kits. The plate had a gap at the top and I thought for sure I would have to plug holes and drill new but I was able to use off-topic original holes and it fits perfectly now.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »
I have had the same issue, twice.  We must be doing something different than how Jim does it. 

I did not bend the butplate. It looked straight. 

I use the top edge shelf as a guide and don't touch it.  I lay the butplate on it with spotting compound on the curved part and the top part that will touch the stock perpindicualr the barrel.  Where I get transfer I remove wood until I get and >80% transfer.  I then go to about #100 sandpapaer and a curved sanding blocl.  At that point the gaps are so small it does not matter.  Both times I had to plug the holes and redrill.  No big deal. I glued the plugs in with CA glue.  No real time was lost.   

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:51 PM »
On the first kit I had to do very little for the buttplate to fit. On this one there was a significant gap between the front of the top return and the wood, also at the top part of the lower return (the actual butt part of the plate). there was a close to an 1/8 inch gap at the top. I used Prussian blue and keep removing wood (starting with the toe) where blue showed until I had full contact with the wood. I would have sworn that I was going to have to plug the holes but when I put the screws in the pre-drilled holes everything pulled up and seated perfectly.
Dennis