Author Topic: Forearm Length  (Read 3216 times)

Offline tlallijr

Forearm Length
« on: August 10, 2017, 05:34:27 PM »
Ok, I'm building a rifle with a 36" barrel. So my plan was to use short 1" ramrod pipes and shorten the forearm length to 10" to help disguise the short barrel. Somehow I made a mistake marking the middle ramrod pipe moving it back an inch so now I will have to shorten the forearm to 8" to keep the entry pipe the same distance. Do you think it's too much ? What would you do ? Here is what it should have been.

upload facebook pictures
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:38:40 PM by tlallijr »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Forearm Length
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »
I'd smash it to pieces and throw it away.......or just put the rear ram rod pipe right at the start of your 10" forestock. The 1" misplacement of the 2nd pipe won't even be noticeable.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:59:17 PM »
I agree with Mike, the second part of his answer....  A shorter forearm is gonna look more out of place than worrying about pipe placement.  I've seen more than a couple originals where it appears as though the ram ram pipes were "eye balled".

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »
Or just leave off the entry pipe, many southern rifles don't use them.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:11:07 PM »
Or just leave off the entry pipe, many southern rifles don't use them.
Dennis

Ditto. Leave the forearm alone and ditch the entry pipe.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ric27

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:06:01 AM »
There is no set rule about distance off pipes. You can fudge them around. In that you have already set in you two front pipes it does leave you with a dilemma. But after the rifle finished it will only matter to you and that will force you to build still one more rifle to erase that fetal flaw. Go ahead ask me how I know.
R     

Offline bowkill

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:18:06 AM »
It will look better without the entry pipe..Oyea your pictures suck...lol
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 05:26:18 AM »
On originals, the ramrod pipes were not equidistant by any means.   It is actually pretty hard to make them that way working around the barrel tenons.   Something has to give and for me it is usually that middle pipe position.   I will move the front pipe back some if it helps center the middle pipe, but I don't worry too much about it as the original builders obviously didn't.

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »
Thank you all for the input. Sorry about the crappy cell phone photo's. Ric27, It's funny how I usually start planning the next build when I'm half way through the one I'm working on, and already thinking of what I will do different.... it's so addictive !

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »
Or, you could use slightly longer pipes. Add 1/2" to the middle and forend pipe with the additional length used to close the gap between the pipes by 1". Then it will match the distance between the middle pipe and the entry pipe, if I am understanding you correctly.

Or, you could eliminate the entry pipe. I hate inletting them anyway.

Dale H

Ric27

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 02:38:09 AM »
Looking at your new photo, you don't have a problem. Just put you entry pipe on there. It will be fine. In a design sense I would not put the middle pipe closer to the front pipe but always to the rear of the center towards the entry pipe. That is just what you have.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »
I agree with Mike and Ed, install the pipe at the current end of the forestock and forge onward.  It appears to be a Lancaster profile stock so it really should have an entry pipe.  Like Ed, Mike and Mark have noted, there are lots of rifles out there with ramrod pipes that are not evenly spaced.

JMC
John Cholin