Author Topic: Jamestown NC Rifle w/Masonic Symbol  (Read 1232 times)

Offline gibster

Jamestown NC Rifle w/Masonic Symbol
« on: August 11, 2017, 02:57:41 AM »
Here is your chance to own a decent Jamestown NC rifle. I wish I could say it was signed, but it's not. So I doubt that there is any way to even attribute it to a particular maker since there were a number of them there that made the same style rifle and were using the same inlays.  The .36 caliber barrel is 36 3/4-inches long and is 0.0835-inches across the flats. It looks to me like the muzzle had been cut and three small holes drilled as if for a bullet starter. Just speculating, don't know for sure. The stock is Curly Maple and is in good condition with a typical crack at the lock bolt and what looks to be a small one at the tail of the lock. I haven't taken the rifle apart, but don't see any evidence that any of the wood had been replaced. I feel sure that there are two inlays that have been replaced. The Masonic symbol on the cheek rest and the one at the bottom of the three on the right side of the butt.  The three fingers/flames, whatever you want to call them are original, only the one at their base is a replacement. The coloration is a little different and the engraving is not as well executed. As best I can tell, the rest of the inlays are original to the rifle. The lock and triggers function as they should. I don't know the condition of the bore. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.  If you want pictures of a particular area, let me know and I'll post them. PM me with any questions.
$1250.00 shipped to the USA. The rifle will be shipped in a wooden box.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:26:41 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Jamestown NC Rifle w/Maconic Symbol
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:53:56 AM »
That'll be gone before midnight. Nice rifle
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:57:39 AM »
Nice. Very tempting.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
Hi,
The rifle has very unusual inlays??
Looking at the rifle it seems to have a presence with it ???
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord identify the good from the evil!

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:33:37 PM »
I don't believe the inlay to be masonic, also probably shot a pickett bullet with the false muzzle, nice rifle.
Nit Wit

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
I don't see anything Masonic there either.  I've been a Mason for over 40 years and have never seen anything even similar to the inlays on this gun with Masons.  Jesse
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:25:47 PM »
I believe the G inlay on the cheek-rest is the masonic inlay Gibster is referring to.  The large inlay on the butt-stock is found on many Jamestown rifles.  I believe it is a tobacco leaf.

Michael   
C. Michael Briggs

Offline gibster

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
I'm not a Mason, so anything referring to a Masonic symbol is from what I have been told (or Goggled). I was told that the "G" is the symbol for God or Geometry and when I did a Goggle search, it showed the same thing. That is the inlay that I am referring to on the rifle.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 08:07:27 PM »
The shield which is repeated on this rifle is also frequently used in masonic symbolism although by no means exclusively.

best online image hosting
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
I looked at this gun last weekend at Princeton and it's pretty nice. Even better in person.  I mentioned to the owner that the pierced inlays reminded me of escutcheons seen on fancy harness work.  Somebody will get a nice one.
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 10:13:50 PM »
I didn't  see the shield with the red cross...I did see a shield but the red cross didn't show up.  The shield with red cross used in the York Rite part of Masonery.... Knight Templars.  I am  Knight Templar.  Yes the "G" could stand for Geometry a Masonic symbol.  Jesse
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 02:22:10 PM »
I'm not a Mason or a Templar Knight but I am a Knight who says "Ni!"  ;) Saw the gun in person, Great and classic NC gun. Was tempted to buy this gun at the show myself but I'm short on income at the moment. :P
www.fowlingguns.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »
You should have at least bought a shrubbery ;)

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »
Jesse,
It's MASONRY not Masonery. The G is for Geometry, I can't remember if it was included in the symbology in 1853 or 1835. That would help date the rifle.

Buck
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:33:53 PM by Buck »

Offline steg49

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 10:06:37 PM »
According to the internet the G started in the US between 1735 and 1768 exact date unknown not a lot of help with this rifle.  What is the bore like, have you run a cleaning rod down her, would be the first thing I would do if it came home with me.

Offline Nit Wit

Re: Jamestown NC Rifle w/Masonic Symbol
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 03:36:58 AM »
The G would have a square and compass, not a G alone.
Nit Wit

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 04:58:35 AM »
Gentlemen,

The G did not enter the confines at that time. The G alone is a symbol of Masonry. Just as both Legs of the Compass did not come to the front of the square till a later date. I saw a chair at the Prairie Show last weekend that dated around 1853 with only 1 (the left) leg of the compass in front of the square which was the original sign of the Master. 

Buck

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »
Interesting, I did not know that.
Thanks
Nit Wit

Offline Goo

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »
Maybe it is a stylized " Menorah" Jewish heritage and culture has been quiet but strong in the Americas since the early 1500's
"Little powder and light lead, no bullet flies true from a kicking rifle Uncas my boy".    Hawkeye From J. F. cooper Last of the Mohicans

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 05:27:43 AM »
Nice rifle! Good deal as well, interesting that it was cut down for maybe a ball starter. Someone must have really treasured it. Good luck!

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline TN Longhunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
Two days and no one has bought this rifle?  Please, someone take the temptation away. Eric is a great guy to deal with. If you buy it have the electric drill charged, you'll need it to open the box. Everyone may be like me and holding out to see what the CLA show has to offer.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Paton Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 04:22:59 PM »
IMHO, I don't think there's much, if any, masonic symbolism on this rifle and certainly nothing to indicate Jewish heritage. Just a nice old piece.
Mark
Mark