Author Topic: When did inlays start appearing on rifles?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Gun_Nut_73

When did inlays start appearing on rifles?
« on: August 17, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »
Hi Everyone.

I have always wanted to put an inlay on the cheek-piece of a rifle.  My vision is to use a silver coin, smoothed on one side, and engraved with the Square and Compasses.  However I do not want to put it on a rifle that would not normally have an inlay.  I have thought of using a worn or cull half dollar or half crown as source material.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: When did inlays start appearing on rifles?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
Hi,
Inlays of bone, metal, shell, and wood go back at least as far as crossbows.  Metal inlays on rifle cheek pieces certainly pre-date the American Rev War.  Interestingly, of the 45 guns shown in "Steinschloss Jaegerbuchsen" only 8 or 9 have inlays on the cheek pieces and almost all are bone, wood, and ivory.  A couple have metal inlays there.  The practice of putting a star of some sort on the cheekpiece seems to have become somewhat popular after 1750.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:54:00 PM »
I agree, but also note that cheekpiece inlays on early rifles normally are stars of some form or other, whereas in the percussion period, inlays of all sorts are found on some rifles.  So "there were inlays" translating to "an inlay of an Irish setter would look appropriate for this style of longrifle" might be a stretch.  I'm sure yours would be tasteful, but on a Revolutionary War era rifle might look out of place.  Of course the Running Deer rifle comes to mind as an example of a beautifully done inlayed and wire inlayed rifle of the early period.  Proving that tastefully done, there's room for artistic expression using inlays on an early rifle.  This one seems 1770s to 1790s to me.

Andover, Vermont

Offline mtlonghunter

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »
Are there more pictures of this running deer rifle available?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:14:18 PM »
I agree, but also note that cheekpiece inlays on early rifles normally are stars of some form or other, whereas in the percussion period, inlays of all sorts are found on some rifles.  So "there were inlays" translating to "an inlay of an Irish setter would look appropriate for this style of longrifle" might be a stretch.  I'm sure yours would be tasteful, but on a Revolutionary War era rifle might look out of place.  Of course the Running Deer rifle comes to mind as an example of a beautifully done inlayed and wire inlayed rifle of the early period.  Proving that tastefully done, there's room for artistic expression using inlays on an early rifle.  This one seems 1770s to 1790s to me.
That is a very neat rifle Rich.  Do you have any other photographs you can share?  I would love to see more.  I adore folk art even though it is not my strong point in recreating.  Just can't get the folk art mind set or creative juices to work.
David

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
Guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma in that I don't recall where I got the pictures. I should have thought about that before I opened Pandora's box, right?  I will start a post over in Antique section when I get back to my PC.
Andover, Vermont