Author Topic: New to the long rifle, new to this forum  (Read 5388 times)

Adam

New to the long rifle, new to this forum
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:39:40 PM »
Hello all.

I am new to the long rifle, its history, the different styles, and everything else.  I am also new to this forum.  I look forward to using the forum as a resource to further guide me to the particular rifle I will one day own, as well as proper loading, shooting, and cleaning techniques. 

I have a lot of learning to do before I purchase a long rifle!  It has been fun learning what little I know so far.  (It has been two weeks since I determined to own one.)

Many thanks in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge. 

Adam

Offline elk killer

Re: New to the long rifle, new to this forum
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:40:54 PM »
Where are you located 
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:49:24 PM »
Welcome, Adam!  Good to have you on board.
Andover, Vermont

Adam

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:54:09 PM »
Thanks!

I live in Annville, Pa.  I just heard some guy named JP Beck lived here a while ago...  :)

Adam

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:00:37 AM »
I put my home in the signature, Elk Hunter.  Thanks for your question; I should have done that when I registered.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »
Welcome and enjoy the ride.  There are very few topics not hammered thoroughly in the archives, so poke around in there a bit*. That'll raise more questions, but maybe also answer quite a few, and possibly help avoid rekindling a "Hot Topic".  You'll see.  ;)

And a lot of things can be best learned by observation and participation (FTF) so finding the great hordes(!) of other LR enthusiasts in your area can be very helpful. 

I'm down South.

*also there is an "old Archive" of the earlier edition of ALR.  I don't mean that.  Just the last 8 or 10 years should do ya.  I used to poke in the old Archive quite a bit, but eventually all the pics got gone and the "fresh" ALR filled up with most everything we can hope to know.

I put my home in the signature, Elk Hunter.  Thanks for your question; I should have done that when I registered.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:31:17 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 02:29:27 AM »
Your about 1.25 hrs south of me, if you need a "local" contact I'd be glad to help.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 03:02:10 AM »
Hi Adam,  Welcome to this highly addictive sport.  Are you located in the Ft Indiantown Gap area?  I'm about an hour east, just north of the Lehigh Valley.  You will find great resources both here on ALR and in the area in which we live.  Dixon's is not far from you, as is the Lancaster area - rich with longrifle history, Landis & Mercer museums, and also out my way is the Jacobsburg historical society and longrifle museum.  Also there is the Blue Ridge Muzzleloading shoot near Shartlesville, and I live next door to the First Frontier Militia club in Bowmanstown.  We have club shoots here every second Sunday of the month March thru Nov..  Feel free to reach out.  TomG

Adam

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 04:22:00 AM »
Kevin,
Thanks much.  Please forward anyone you know.  Some local friends have helped a lot, and put me in touch with someone active in  living history.  I'd be happy to have more local support!

Adam

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 04:22:50 AM »
Thank you for the guidance, Wade.

Adam

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 04:28:01 AM »
TommyG,

Yes, we live close to Indiantown Gap.  I've twice been to Dixon's (today being the second visit), both times having excellent tomahawks following me home.  (There's another off-topic: I'm hooked on tomahawk throwing.  Fun stuff!)

In two visits I easily doubled my knowledge of PA long rifles by talking with Mr. Dixon.  He is more than helpful and gracious. 

Thank you for the info on local shoots.  I'm interested.  I compete in high power rifle but, given the opportunity and time, would like to see long rifle matches. 

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
PM sent
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I'm still a greenhorn but I have learned a lot from the members here. There are some very experienced people posting here and their advice is worth listening to.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »
Welcome to AmericanLongRifles forum, Adam.  This sport is like snow boarding down a very steep hill; almost impossible to stop.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »
Again, welcome.  Getting in touch with a local club will not only give you insight into this sport, the members will also give you positive information.  This last Sunday a fellow showed up with his brand new flinter purchase.  The gun shop sent him home with a respectable rifle and a can of Pyrodex.  Needless to say he was disappointed.  As the powder would not work and the frizzen was soft and wouldn't spark.  We tried to help as much as we could under the circumstances.  Long story short don't rely on the fellow behind the counter to give you good information unless he knows muzzleloaders and shoots them.

Hopefully, he will  take our information and harden his frizzen and come back with some black powder.

There is always help for those that ask.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 12:04:56 AM »
Thanks!

I live in Annville, Pa.  I just heard some guy named JP Beck lived here a while ago...  :)
I have a friend in Annville. Jim Snyder. He owns Jim's garage. He's got 40 years of this stuff under he's belt and would likely be glad to help you along.
Stop Marxism in America

Adam

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 04:44:16 AM »
Thanks!

I have a friend in Annville. Jim Snyder. He owns Jim's garage. He's got 40 years of this stuff under he's belt and would likely be glad to help you along.

Many thanks!

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »
I think it's an unfair advantage to start off in this hobby as a Pennsylvania resident.   ;D

Tons of muzzle-loading history in PA.  The birthplace of the American long-rifle.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
Welcome to ALR Adam I hope you enjoy your stay. Make yourself at home.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 02:03:15 AM »
  Adam welcome also to the ALR. Your in good company. Oldtravler