Author Topic: English style American fowling gun  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
English style American fowling gun
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »
I've slowed down on making stuff but I got busy and made this gun. I think it's the 1st one I've made this year.
It has a Salvo  .53 caliber smooth bored by 53 1/2" long octagon to round barrel, Davis English trade lock, English brass fittings & an osage orange ramrod. The stock is a really plain piece of maple. I'm not a good enough craftsman to do much carving or engraving so this is a very plain gun. It holds nice, not muzzle heavy for a 8 lb gun. I've not shot it yet. Living in town sucks...

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: English style American fowling gun
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:19:48 AM »
Nothing wrong with "plain",now and back then not everybody could afford a gun with all the bells and whistles.A plain gun shoots as well as a fancy one looking one,nice job and hope she shoots straight for you

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:43:54 AM »
I finished a very plain English style long range rifle back in 2003 and used it
in 500 meter competition against Sharps and Remington breech loaders and
beat them.One with fancier wood,checkering and engraving would have done no
better.
That's a good looking fowler,well done.

Bob Roller

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:47:04 AM »
 Good looking, nice work, it just looks right, my kind of gun, simple.

Tim C.

n stephenson

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:05:15 AM »
Nothing at all wrong with this one!!! I like it a lot ! Looks like a well made , serviceable piece. Nice Job!!! Nate

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 02:29:49 AM »
Hi Keb,
Nice gun and I love the unique architecture.  What features do you consider English?  That might help other builders with the same objectives.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 02:56:47 AM »
I'm no expert but looking at Grinslade's book it does appear either English style or New England, maybe more New England. However, I'm not all that educated. The parts are English fowling gun style along with the imported lock. The toe line is similar to those in New England. I do like the look and the way it holds & points.

Offline webradbury

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 03:43:18 AM »
Where did you find the barrel? I can't find any that long.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline alex e.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 04:41:06 AM »
Larry Horrigan in Michigan can make you anything smoothbore up to 60" long.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »
Hi Keb,
The reason I asked about English features is that it looks very New England and more French influenced except the lock and sideplate.  Regardless, it is a very nice gun.

dave

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 02:24:17 PM »
webradbury: This barrel was one JR Salvo started but never finished. He had about 15-20 barrels started at the time of his death (bores done) and I had the profiles cut elsewhere. Larry Horrigan machined this one and about 5 or 6 others for me.

alex e: Yes, Larry Horrigan can do the machining. He was having some trouble getting the barrel stock the last I knew so I supplied him the stock for all the barrels he cut for me. 

smart dog: I'm pretty sure I knew why you asked. I think tagging it "American made in the English style" may have been a poor choice by me for a forum thread title. Going back to the Grinslade book, to me & my uneducated eye, "American made in the New England style" would have been more appropriate title for this forum. However, I don't like the French association. Other than the toe line (as seen on some earlier American fowling guns and some French stuff), I don't see no Frenchy stuff that would make me think it would be called a French gun. But please remember, I'm just a unejumacated Michigan dirt farmer.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:31:38 PM »
Must agree with Smart Dog there is very little influence of an English fowler not fault picking  but still a nice gun
Feltwad

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 12:20:43 AM »
How about I call it an American fowler with English style parts?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »

smart dog: I'm pretty sure I knew why you asked. I think tagging it "American made in the English style" may have been a poor choice by me for a forum thread title. Going back to the Grinslade book, to me & my uneducated eye, "American made in the New England style" would have been more appropriate title for this forum. However, I don't like the French association. Other than the toe line (as seen on some earlier American fowling guns and some French stuff), I don't see no Frenchy stuff that would make me think it would be called a French gun. But please remember, I'm just a unejumacated Michigan dirt farmer.

Hi Keb,
Don't underestimate yourself.  You make nice guns and many fill a niche different than most posted on this site.  It is a nice fowler whatever we may call it and it really looks right for the time and place.

dave
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:24:07 AM by smart dog »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 12:25:35 AM »
It has an English lock and buttplate, cain't see the trigger guard finial. The carving at the barrel tang is English in style. The architecture is very nice and perfect for the New England area. Very nice gun over all. I especially like the stock. It's hard to find stocks with no curl at all.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 12:30:49 AM »
How about I call it an American fowler with English style parts?

Just American fowling piece. It has parts from one place, architecture from another just like many original pieces. I like this one better than any you have posted.
Wonderful job.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 12:55:38 AM »
If it is of any help enclosed is a couple of images of a English Fowler of the period
Feltwad
Notice the drop at the comb

Trigger guard of the period
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:00:18 AM by Feltwad »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »

I really like this piece - would be a terrific gun for close hunting or best yet, rendezvous round ball events.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 02:21:19 AM »
James Rogers & smart dog: Thank you.

Mike Brooks: It has an acorn trigger guard of which I'm pretty sure is also English.

Feltwad: That's a very nice looking gun. Was it made in America?  ;)

Daryl: I don't hunt no more but I do shoot at rondyvoos both round ball & shot. I will try this one at the up & coming EPR next month in PA.

I'd like to change the topic title but I won't.

I have another smoothbored fowling gun I'd like to post pictures of since it's so easy now. Thanks, Kingsburyarms.
This gun is cherry wood, .58 cal x 49" barrel, Davis English lock & Reeves Gohring butt & trigger guard. I cut the wrist is a little too long but it sure holds & shoots nice. I'm kinda gun-shy tagging it so I'll just call it an American fowler.  8)

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »
Keb

English  gun of about 1760 it is English built with a foreign barrel with a hooked breech
Feltwad