Author Topic: Traditional round ball and hogs  (Read 4251 times)

Comanche

Traditional round ball and hogs
« on: August 16, 2017, 05:13:27 AM »
Perhaps this subject has been discussed before; but, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if its a redundant question. However, I'm curious if any one has shot a hog over a hundred pounds with a round ball? If so, what were the results, what was the caliber, and what was the range? I currently hunt them with a 270-300 gr 44 mag but would really like to get back into muzzleloader and was how wondering how...if any... effective that system is a game that year you up if all goes south.  I would like to stay with a 1:66 or so twist for traditional round ball, however, depending on the answers given I might have to go with a 1:48 so I can use a power belt or sabotage. Thanks.

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Traditional round ball and hogs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:51:38 AM »
A round ball is all I use for hogs and deer.  The last hog was a touch over 300 pounds and was shot with a .50 caliber round ball at about 20 yards.  Put the ball right in the ear and it drop on the spot.  The one before that was 390 pounds and was shot with a .50 caliber round ball at about 35 yards through the lungs, ran about 50 yards and dropped.  The one before that was 120 pounds and shot with a .54 caliber through the neck at about 30 yards, dropped like a rock.  A round ball is an excellent game stopper.

Mole Eyes
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:53:55 AM by moleeyes36 »
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum Comanche.
I believe the take-away from Moleeyes' response is:
1. You can certainly take BIG hogs with a roundball...as always, it's shot placement that put's your quarry down.
2. Moleeyes eats a lot of pork..!!! ;D

Fortunately....he's in our BP group down here, and he shares.. ;)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:09:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum Comanche.
I believe the take-away from Moleeyes' response is:
1. You can certainly take BIG hogs with a roundball...as always, it's shot placement that put's your quarry down.
2. Moleeyes eats a lot of pork..!!! ;D

Fortunately....he's in our BP group down here, and he shares.. ;)

If a single shot from a 223 can bring down a HUGE hog then I'd think round
ball of .50 or larger would do as well.Shot placement IS the thing, A shot in
the rump is only inflicting pain but one in the head and the lights go out.

Bob Roller

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »
Welcome, Comanche.  I know of one guy who kills hogs with a .32.  He's a good shot and only shoots those well under 200 lbs.  I certainly wouldn't use a .32 and would never recommend it.  My choice would be any round ball of .45 and up.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »
My .54 with 80gr. of 2F shot through both shoulders of a medium sized hog and stopped under the skin on the far side, but it hit some bone and gristle.  Another time a .54 shot through the chest of one top to bottom including the spine.  Both times the hog was anchored.  A round ball will do fine. 
Brice Stultz

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum Comanche.  A round ball will certainly kill about any hog you're liable to see in the wild. I have one .54 cal. percussion rifle that I have killed 47 hogs up to 300 lbs with. I have also killed another couple of dozen or so with flintlick rifles. All killed hunting from a stand or stalk hunting. They were all .54 cal. I use 90/100 grains of 3f powder. I use a fairly stout load as a big boar hog can have a really thick hide shield in the shoulder area. In my opinion for hogs bigger is better. Hunting a big wounded boar hog with a flintlock in a thicket can get exciting, particularly if you don't have a back up weapon. I know one talked me out of looking for him last year. There was no bluff in the sounds he was.making at about ten yds. and I still couldn't see him and the longrifle was hard to maneuver in the tangle of briars and vines. I eased back out and let him be. Try hunting them with a round ball,  you'll enjoy it. Tim

Comanche

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 12:14:40 AM »
Thank you to all that took the time to share there experience and knowledge with me. Looks like the round ball twist on the barrel is what I'll be getting, course I certainly want to hit the spot I'm aiming for...glad I asked the question...thanks again

Offline tippit

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »
Great thread...I'm new here and just purchased my first flintlock.  Maybe a little small @ 40cal but I hunt hogs exclusively with a longbow.  I have a four thousand acre lease in south Georgia that is loaded with hogs, deer, and turkey along with gators.  Looking forward to some spot and stalk hog hunting with a flintlock...but I'll leave the 350 pounders to my longbow. 

My largest with my longbow...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 01:50:28 AM »
Nice piglet.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 02:20:30 AM »
Good hog with a bow. You'll enjoy stalk hunting with a flint rifle. A forty will work on some of the small to medium pigs but I'd want a little bigger ball for a hog that size.  Tim

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »
That's a pert' good hawg you slayed.  As far as a longrifle is concerned, shot placement is still the key.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
  Shot placement is the key with any weapon!
  Welcome to the forum......
 Oldtravler