Author Topic: Flintlock vs. Percussion for Reliability  (Read 36093 times)

Offline Cory McArtor

Flintlock vs. Percussion for Reliability
« on: August 18, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »
I'm in the process of trying to find and acquire my first longrifle.  I like the idea of a flintlock (might as well go with the older way if I want to go with the old way).  But my friend who shoots percussion seems to think that flintlocks are much less reliable than percussion rifles.  How much truth is there to that?  If one is more reliable than the other, how big a difference is it?

Thanks for the help.

Cory

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Flintlock vs. Percussion for Reliability
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:40:30 AM »
I don't know what much less reliable means but if you know how to seal up the pan you can make a flintlock almost sure fire IMHO. Then there is the task of putting a cap on the nipple in the rain or when it's below zero. I have done both as many others here on this forum have too but a lot here prefer flintlocks because they have learned how to manage them.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:44:51 AM »
Quality of and fit of the lock is everything.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 12:45:54 AM »
I am one of those that think the flintlock is more reliable as long as its a well built gun with a good high quality lock . Once you shoot one enough an get used to that particular guns likes an dislikes then you can make a flinter go off in any conditions, I have 8 flintlocks an 1 percussion. Even in rainy damp conditions its the flintlock that goes with me. I have that much confidence in them. Get a well built flint gun an you'll never look back
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Maven

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:13:19 AM »
It also depends on how much care, e.g., cleaning, you lavish on the gun, be it cap- or flint- lock, after it has been fired.  I shoot with some folks who don't maintain their rifles (both kinds of locks) well and have too many failures to fire for my taste.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 01:22:20 AM »
Your friends probably aren't died-in-the-wool flintlock shooters. Many of us are.  I trust the collective wisdom of those who do shoot flintlocks over those who do not.  Where "shoot" means compete on paper/trails as well as hunt and plink.

Never having one but only shooting one once many years prior, with a smattering of caplock experience, I built a flinter and love it. I have no desire to ever own another caplock. At all. Reliability has never cost any game with this gun. Nor has it caused problems with targets.

Maybe you go rocklock, get good at the care and feeding of it, and then go convert your not-so-enthusiastic friends.

We'll help.  8)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:23:33 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 01:34:42 AM »
For what it`s worth. At the local shoots ,  I`ve seen many more percussion shooters  working on their rifles than I have flint. I prefer flint so, maybe I notice the perc. guys more! . JMHO    Nate

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 01:51:42 AM »
I agree with all of the above, but will add my 2 cents.

Flintlocks are more fun.

If the good Lord had meant for us to shoot caplocks, He would have scattered caps on the ground, instead of flints.

-Ron
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:52:17 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 02:18:48 AM »
Back in the 80's I  was at a shoot and it started to rain. The cap lock guys figured they had the match won as everybody knows flint guns won't work in the rain. With in 5 minutes all the cappers were out of action with guns that wouldn't go off and all the flint fellas were still shooting. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Dave Patterson

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 02:55:02 AM »
I have a few of both in the house, and shoot whichever rifle I'm in the mood for that day.

I have far fewer ignition failures out of my flinters, than with the caplocks.  We're not talking big numbers here with either style:  just a lower percentage of the total, with the rocklocks.

And, that's in Northern NV - high desert - where I really don't do much shooting in what anybody else would call "good" weather (dry, clear and warm):  if it's a purty day here, the fire danger's too doggone high to be shooting out in the brush.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 03:18:30 AM »
For what it`s worth. At the local shoots ,  I`ve seen many more percussion shooters  working on their rifles than I have flint.

It's the same at my club.  Go for the flint--those nipple-huggers are just a passing fad.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 03:52:25 AM »
I've had the same experience as Mike. We were having a meat shoot and the skies opened up all the flint shooters stayed on the line loading from the bag and horn moving from 25 yrd to 50 yrd targets and finished our round the caplocks made it thru a few shots but all dropped out. We took home the hams.
As long as you keep shooting and swab out the pan occasionally flint wins
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 04:40:08 AM »
I agree with all of the above, but will add my 2 cents.

Flintlocks are more fun.

If the good Lord had meant for us to shoot caplocks, He would have scattered caps on the ground, instead of flints.

-Ron
Amen! Since I bult my first flintlock I rarely even shoot any thing more modern. All my hunting is done with flintlocks. Like Ron said, way more fun!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 04:53:21 AM »
In our club in middle Tennessee I see as many misfires in percussion guns as I do flintlocks. In a rain storm I got my rock crusher to go off and finish the shoot. Many cap guns did not. One can find flint everywhere. Percussion caps aren't available in the woods. Learn to shoot a flintlock and be happy evermore.

Offline RVAH-7

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 06:05:19 AM »
percussion.  What's that??

Offline elk killer

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
When I lived in Idaho, I hunted elk with a flintlock, had a friend who
swore by his custom build percussion rifle, after suffering many misfires
with said percussion rifle, he would say..how come you never have these isssues...
my response  was it's a flintlock that's why...we hunted in some pretty bad weather..
one Christmas his wife surprised him with a custom built flintlock rifle she had me
build for him, after just one hunt, he was like I should have done this year's ago,
flintlock are so much easier to care for
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »

It's the same at my club.  Go for the flint--those nipple-huggers are just a passing fad.
[/quote]

Yup! They have not been fully weaned yet! ;D

Once you get to know a good flintlock rifle or smooth bore, you'll never look back!

Joel Hall

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 02:47:32 PM »
Over 50 years ago I bought 3 books called "The American Gun" and in Volume 1,#2 is an
article titled "Fuses,Flints and Pyrites" by Robert Held.It starts with a man who can't afford a
flintlock so he uses his match lock to hunt with.
The story continues thru the "Golden Age" of the flintlock and the incredible work of the top lock filers
of London making "sure fire" locks with tiny corrosion proof pans and faster than ever mainsprings.
All of this fine lock making was an attempt,successful for a while to obstruct the oncoming fulminate
detonating compounds that were making inroads on the use of flints for ignition of black powder.
The story ends with the grandson of the man who had the match lock buying a new percussion double gun
from the celebrated shop of James Purdy.
Also mentioned are hunts in extreme winds that bent strong trees and blew the priming out of the pans
of the finest locks so the percussion gun was the next step.An objection to the percussion system was
the one that said wars would be even bloodier than ever with a more reliable way to discharge a gun.
   Today we shoot black powder for sport and fun. I like the flintlocks and my favorite black powder
rifles are the long,plainer than a broom stick Southern Long Rifles with a flintlock.The other is an English
made long range rifle by a top maker that is capable of hitting a target over 1000 yards away.Two extremes
for sure but they're my choice like my choice in old cars,a Model "A" Ford and a Model "J" Duesenberg.
The progression from the smoldering rope to the center fire has been a long one and we can regress now
and accept the challenges that were mandatory in whatever time frame we choose. I'm comfortable with
flint or percussion.
Now,time to leave for the CLA Show in Lexington,Ky. which is only 120 miles away.

Bob Roller

Offline p.d.

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
This is an interesting and informative thread.  As I have used neither in rainy, wet weather I would ask; why does the caplock fail more frequently in those conditions.

Offline Cory McArtor

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  It seems the general opinion is that if I get a quality flintlock and am taught to use it correctly then it should function as well or better than most percussion rifles.  That is good to hear, especially as someone wanting to learn to shoot and hunt with flintlocks. But it leaves me wondering why the flintlock was replaced by a system that didn't perform significantly better.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
And besides here in the flintlock only hunting season..........yup

nosrettap1958

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »
Don't ask that because now you're asking these guys to prove it, that could be a problem.  These guys just like flintlocks and like to build flintlocks that's all. 

Flintlocks are not more reliable in any way shape or form. 

But during that era in vast remote areas the flintlock ruled because you didn't need store bought percussion caps or those funny looking self contained cartridges to make them work.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
But if you want something historical, buy a flintlock.  Through all the major conflicts in the forming and infancy of America the flintlock was there.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »
Thanks for all the responses... But it leaves me wondering why the flintlock was replaced by a system that didn't perform significantly better.

Caplocks worked better when flash paths were properly maintained and good quality caps were available.  The locks are simpler, faster ignition is possible, and the cap is now called a primer in the brass hickey thingamajig.

But the usage of Flintlocks spanned a much greater time, they are not so fussy to keep working properly, and ANY dry powder can be used to prime the pan.  It matters not what happened to your supply of caps. One must have powder to load his gun, and a little tad more to fire it (FL). One can have a keg of powder and be SOL with a caplock.

As I see it ultimate hard-times functionality of a well-known design is what stretched FL popularity well past the "expiration date" in the woods and cabins of America (and other lands I'm sure).  There may have been some old-timers who trusted their dusty old mules over the new "trick pony".

Also, put a little "mother nature" into the shooting events and FL take no second seat to Cappers. Shooting skills once again become most important, not lock time.  I witnessed this just a few years ago at a blustery chunk event. FL's ruled.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:57:05 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
A well written response Bob .

I shoot both as well and enjoy both .
I have always had more misfires with flint but I have only been using flint the last couple of years and am just getting the hang of running one .

A good lock is everything in a flinter as is the right touchhole .If I were going to get a longrifle flint is more fun and looks so much better without question .In a later style percussion looks OK .Capping one in the winter is never a problem if you have a capper.