Author Topic: Flintlock vs. Percussion for Reliability  (Read 36105 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Flintlock vs. Percussion for Reliability
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »
Daryl,

As Rich P said above.

Neither myself or Hawker mentioned Accurate.
 Also, Hawker writing 1815 -22 & 32 editions, was putting pen to paper long before the Irish team were shooting.
Hawker was known as "The father of Game shooting."

Note, I didn't say Target shooting.   ;)

I do think it a shame though, that someone like  Hawker, who went to great pains to test both systems so thoroughly and took the time to publish all his findings, can be written off as "Inebriated" by a bloke who hasn't read nary a word of his compositions. 

All the best,
Richard.

I might have been inebriated when I wrote that. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2018, 10:30:31 PM »
I've killed deer and small game with caplocks and mixed in flintlocks about half & half.  Then years ago I went exclusively to flintlocks for hunting.  One rifle had both a flint lock and a cap lock; I switched them back and forth for deer and took several deer with each one.  One of my farthest kills was 100 yards with the rifle in flint mode.

It's been a long time since I hunted with percussion.  My interest is longrifles; and to me that means FLINT.  Maybe a percussion can be fired underwater, but I don't hunt underwater.  Even if I did I'd use a speargun.  Cap, flint, got both and like both.  It's just that a flinter has "soul".  And I am usually so intently concentrating on sight picture that I can't detect any hesitation unless there's a hangfire.  This ought to keep me safe from a noose.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2018, 05:25:03 AM »
Daryl,

LOL!  The Colonel used to get tight at times.  His "Spot cure for colds", included drinking  enough to see double (claret or whatever )  Then go to sleep. He Guaranteed, when you awoke your cold would be gone!

We should All try it.  :-)

Hanshi,

I feel all left out, what with my matchlock and all..........  I feel like a minority!  LOL
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:27:42 AM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2018, 06:33:12 AM »
Pukka, hope you don't bring " ignition profiling " charges against any of us.  :)

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
Smylee,

LOL!
I'm a "Minority  group", so should be running Everything!  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will say no more, or Dennis will be after me for political stuff! ;)

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »
Having taken both types of ignition moose hunting, I will make these observations. Having a loaded  muzzleloading firearm out in the woods for extended periods of time , subject to all kinds of weather can be problematic. Cap locks demand attention [ flash channel, nipple condition, caps etc ] so there is no free lunch. My flintlock guns are easier to maintain in these conditions.  It's all about that important first shot, and I know that my gun will fire. It has never let me down for that first shot , even after spending a week in the bottom of a canoe , or nights in a tent.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2018, 11:23:47 PM »
I spend far more time clearing ignition paths in caplock rifles than I ever do on a flintlock.  Plus, percussion caps can get fouled.   A flint and frizzen can be wiped dry and ready to shoot soon thereafter.

Plus, I always feel I need to remove the nipple (and sometimes the drum) on a caplock to really clean it correctly (i.e. if I don't want to drum to fuse itself to the barrel with rust.)
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:55 PM »
How come nobody mentions keeping a flint tight and sharp? Cleaning the pan and frizzen, Cleaning the vent liner and breech channel? Keeping powder in the pan when the wind is howling?

Neither one is easier or harder than the other. Just different. A real muzzleloader can handle both with no complaints. :)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2018, 01:21:51 AM »
Don't worry, Pukka; a matchlock is about as reliable as these things get.  Especially if you're like me and stay at home when it's already raining.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2018, 01:23:30 AM »
Do you shrink in the rain? :)

Steve Patterson

« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2018, 04:37:46 AM »
I'm over here in N Nevada visiting Pop Pop and Meemaw with the family. Went shooting with the flints. Was a bit breezy (probably 20 gusts at 30). Had a couple of times the priming blew out before could close the hammer before I figured out a techinque. Also had priming blow around in the pan if I didn't make sure and brush off any grains that would slightly hold the pan open. We figured it out, but dicussed this thread and the fact that there are days it may be easier and take less fussing the get reliable ignition if using caps. We didn't bring one out today to test the theory, but it could be possible, as much as I love my flintlock, that a caplock may be easier in some conditions

Offline Daryl

« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2018, 05:44:19 AM »
I'm over here in N Nevada visiting Pop Pop and Meemaw with the family. Went shooting with the flints. Was a bit breezy (probably 20 gusts at 30). Had a couple of times the priming blew out before could close the hammer before I figured out a techinque. Also had priming blow around in the pan if I didn't make sure and brush off any grains that would slightly hold the pan open. We figured it out, but dicussed this thread and the fact that there are days it may be easier and take less fussing the get reliable ignition if using caps. We didn't bring one out today to test the theory, but it could be possible, as much as I love my flintlock, that a caplock may be easier in some conditions

THAT happened a lot to the army in the prairies, according to accounts in "Firearms of the American West".  They are really wonderful reading!
pm me for the isbn#'s
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Joc7651

« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »
I have no experience with flintlocks but would like to get one to shoot and learn the ins and outs of them. I will say that I've never had a misfire with any of my 4 cap locks using real black powder and RWS 1075 caps. Even in driving rain. I imagine it's like any other BP rifle though. Keep it clean, well maintained, show it the care it requires, and it would be very reliable.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2018, 06:27:45 PM »
I have no experience with flintlocks but would like to get one to shoot and learn the ins and outs of them. I will say that I've never had a misfire with any of my 4 cap locks using real black powder and RWS 1075 caps. Even in driving rain. I imagine it's like any other BP rifle though. Keep it clean, well maintained, show it the care it requires, and it would be very reliable.

I'd start a new thread.  You'll get a lot of good advice.  Find out what you want to own.  My best advice would be to hire someone to build you one.   If that isn't an option, buy the parts to build one.