Author Topic: Barrel Twist  (Read 7670 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Barrel Twist
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 08:30:26 PM »
12" or a little under, it is then - sure does not look the part, though. Strange. I assume with the camera focus, we can only actually see 6" or so into the bore, yet it appears further.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 05:44:58 AM »
After all the replies and interest generated in this odd barrel, I just had to go back into the shop and try to take some better pictures.  Now granted I'm no photo expert by any means.  What I did was tape a piece of tracing paper over the end to try to get diffused light into the barrel to give the shot a bit more depth.  I also fitted up the jag with a .022" bull denim patch, marked the rod and SLOWLY pushed in 1 full revolution, travel was just under 12".  I didn't mean to create such a stir, apparently this is something really odd for whatever reason.

good image hosting site

In this photograph - the land at 6 o'clock, almost makes an entire turn in the length of bore visible. I assume, due to the slightly longer depth of field in focus, that this is almost 12".
Daryl

Vomitus

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »
  I do what Rich Pierce does. Pretty simple. Looks like half a turn, maybe a fraction more. Good pix...

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 02:35:25 AM »
I think you guys need to look more closely. Following the land that starts at 6 o'clock (right in the middle of the bottom flat), it becomes quite visible again at 8 o'clock then follows around to the 4'clock position.  The actual focal length of the picture is short - but actually shows there is considerable barrel behind where the in-focused lands and grooves seem to stop.
Perhaps my  monitor shows this better than others.
Daryl

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 03:07:44 AM »
Daryl,  you are correct, the focal length of the picture does not represent the entire barrel length.  I wish I had a better way to capture this and am open to any suggestions, at least for future shots.  Like I mentioned earlier, when I hold this barrel up and look thru it, it looks like the rifling on my .308(which I think is around 1-9).  I just find it odd that this barrel made it into a longrifle kit, even if it was from the seventies.  Where was the quality control?  Also, probably a good thing the fella I got it from didn't complete it and try to "dial" a load in for it.  He'd probably still be on the range tryin' to figure it out.  Thanks for your input.  TomG

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 04:41:00 AM »
Glad to help sort it out.  Just looking at the rate of twist, it's obvious to me it is rapid. How, or why a .45 barrel would have that rate is beyond me.  As noted (I think) previously, the most rapid twist in .45 I've ever seen, is 15" & that will stabilize a 700gr. 45 cal. bullet.
Daryl