Author Topic: Hawken fullstock  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Hawken fullstock
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
[][/ ] ] Still working the area around lock panels,getting there.Anything you would do?Still need some metal polishing.[ ][/url]a little more shaping at the bottom of lock panels in front of the trigger plate,a little flat.Still wishing I could have handled an original,you can only get so much off pictures,the rest is what looks good to you???thanks for any critiques you may have.I'm still wishing I had a butt plate with a little more heel,is what it is I quess

Offline webradbury

Re: Hawken fullstock
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »
Looking good. shaping lock panels is a pain in the --- to me! Inletting looks nice. Will
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
I can't really tell what you have going on with the lock panels, something doesn't look right, but I'm no Hawken guy. The rest looks good tot me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
The one picture has a glare off the metal giving the appearance of the panel not being the same top and bottom.The other picture looking down the rifle shows they are the same(front)I did take a little artistic licence where the panel goes up towards the barrel.Looking at some Maryland flintlocks and that general area I noticed those panels would curve up about the same amount as the rear area near the breech.I know we have no flint hawken rifles and the cap guns show that area pretty much having the radius going right around the lock and diving right into the barrel,if I'm explaining it right.That one picture really makes the lock panel look all kinds weird
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:49:06 PM by Joe S. »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »
[ ][/url]

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »
Looks ok to me, but I'm not a gun builder. I did notice the lock is on the left side.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 08:21:47 PM »
LOL,the left handed impaired,figure if I'm building my first,for myself, I would make left handed.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:48:04 AM »
Is the top of the forarm down to midlevel or slightly below in the lock panel area?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:06:56 AM »
Kinda hard to tell from the pictures but the top is below the mid point of the side barrel flat,maybe a 1/16.As I looked over that picture and the rifle itself I did notice the wood goes up hill a hair.You can get a better idea by looking at the muzzle end photo.I will have to level it off,good eye,better to have to remove more than not have it there.My camera work is terrible,bad angles,also makes it look like the bottom of the forearm is flat going into and under the lock panels

Offline taco650

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
Is that a Hawken style lock or something else?  Wood finish looks really smooth.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 09:01:57 PM »
L&R late English,double throat cock.Without an original flint hawken to go by who knows?probably close enough though.The hawken shop probably used what ever they got their hands on me thinks.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »
That will be the lock for my next early Plains rifle build. They look better engraved.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »
Still thinking about that,looks a little naked.Of course I would have to farm that out,way above my pay grade at present

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 01:29:28 AM »
I'm thinking this is a good look.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 01:35:53 AM »
I like it and it was a flinter as well