Author Topic: Joseph Gibbins Gunmaker  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Joseph Gibbins Gunmaker
« on: August 24, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »
Any members familiar with Joseph Gibbins the gun maker from PA. in the mid 1800's?  Were his guns well made?  I am looking at a full stock 36 caliber long rifle in the "Leman" style with maple stock.  It appears to be well put together, but I am unfamiliar with the maker or the quality of his work.  any information you members can provide would be appreciated.

Offline hornturner

Re: Joseph Gibbins Gunmaker
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
I once owned a nice fullstock rifle by Joseph Gibbons.  It was clear that the stock was well shaped by an experienced hand.  The percussion rifle was made well, too.  He was from Brownsville, Fayette County in western PA. 

Art DeCamp

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Was your rifle a good shooter?  The one I am looking at appears to be well made, but shows considerable use.  The barrel outside finish is just about gone, and so is the lock.  It might not have been finished (blued or browned) when made and left in the white.  The bore looks about 70%, with some dark spots that may be pitting.  The owner will not let me run a patch down the bore, so I am leery about its' condition. The nipple seat area is clean and free of any corrosion, and the outside of the metal and wood looks to be well maintained.  The price is tempting, but I would really like to get a tight patch down the bore.  The owner is insistent that the bore is fine.  Can't figure out why he won't allow me to run a patch down.  I just may tell him that I am not interested if I can't.  I think he thinks he has got me hooked, but I really don't need another .36.  I wish I had a bore scope.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:34:42 PM »
Very few people buy antique muzzleloaders with shooting in mind these days.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jaeren

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »
Very few people buy antique muzzleloaders with shooting in mind these days.

Get one of the lights used on lighted fishing bobbers, small led with battery. Mostly red or green I've not seen white. It will drop down a small bore (or large) and let you see the bore. Not sure of a brand name but have seen them on eBay. I see people use them at shows. Does no harm and dumps out easily. They ca be reused many times.

Offline Fyrstyk

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »
I used a bobber light like you said, and that is how I know there are some dart spots that may be pitting.  Can't tell for sure but a tight patch would probably confirm or deny the dark areas.

Spinner

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:57:53 AM »
There's a Gibbons rifle pictured in Henry Kauffman's book "The Pennsylvania - Kentucky Rifle". Not a great photo but enough to show that this guy made a nice looking rifle. Whisker pictured a nice full stock Gibbons rifle in "The Gun Makers of Western PA".

Brownsville... My Mom's home town.

Hope you checked to ensure that gun wasn't loaded before looking down the bore.