Author Topic: Source for good quality gun flints  (Read 6364 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Source for good quality gun flints
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »
Who is a good source for high quality gun flints? I have finally worked through my supply of good Brandon black English flints I bough years ago. It appears I may have to put the little pill under my tongue before I ask what they cost today. I have also heard the French amber flints are pretty good, and would like to try a few. I also have one gun with a 1763 Charleville lock in it that uses the largest size flint, which I understand not everybody stocks. Any help will be appreciated.

Hungry Horse

Offline Standing Bear

Re: Source for good quality gun flints
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 07:32:56 PM »
I buy mine on site at shoots and rendevouz. Now about $2 each or $20 a dozen. A good deal as I get 70-80 shots from a good black flint. Track sells Fuller blacks tho new owner. I hear u can ask for and get em w a near fort top.

Have used Rich Pierce's Missouri white chert and they work fine but understand he's no longer taking orders. There is a Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas ? chert produced by for mentally challenged but I haven't used any of those yet.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:33:51 PM »
I like Stonewall Creek Outfitters.  Lots of good stuff, including flints.

rfd

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »
track of the wolf, english flints.  i specify "flat top" (a single edge "fine" flint as opposed to a thicker "common" or twin edged flint).

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »
HH, I also buy flints from Track of the Wolf. But whenever I get to a good show like the Kalamazoo Living History show once a year, I prefer to hand pick them.   That way I do not get a few with the high domes that seem to find there way into my stash!   
Joel Hall

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
Who is a good source for high quality gun flints? I have finally worked through my supply of good Brandon black English flints I bough years ago. It appears I may have to put the little pill under my tongue before I ask what they cost today. I have also heard the French amber flints are pretty good, and would like to try a few. I also have one gun with a 1763 Charleville lock in it that uses the largest size flint, which I understand not everybody stocks. Any help will be appreciated.

Hungry Horse

Guenter Stifter cut flints from Germany. Expensive,yes,good,yes.I think Dixon may be an
American outlet for these.I have a big one Guenter gave me almost 40 years ago with the
U.S.Military Police crossed pistols and my name engraved on one side and an inscribed
bit of advice in German.The "flint" is carneol,amber colored and "Alle kunst ist umsonst
wenn ein englein auf dir fundloch brunst".**

Bob Roller
** All skill is in vain if an angel takes a leak on the touch hole.

rfd

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 09:19:52 PM »
HH, I also buy flints from Track of the Wolf. But whenever I get to a good show like the Kalamazoo Living History show once a year, I prefer to hand pick them.   That way I do not get a few with the high domes that seem to find there way into my stash!

if you specify flat tops to TOTW, you won't get any "high domes".

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »
I second Stonewall Creek Outfitters.  If you ask, Troy will hand pick them to your specs.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 12:16:56 AM »
I've got TOW black flints, white chert flints and a mixed bag of various flints and pieces I bought by the pound.  The latter are ancient with black and amber flints & pieces.  The pieces are perfect for rifles and the large flints still work in my smoothbore.  The amber flints give excellent sparks and seem to last a long, long time.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 01:19:51 AM »

Hungry Horse

I bought a bag or two of French ambers. Good enough for the British Army back when the British only made spall flints. Its what they used in the American Revolution.  Better than black.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »

Hungry Horse

Guenter Stifter cut flints from Germany. Expensive,yes,good,yes.I think Dixon may be an
American outlet for these.I have a big one Guenter gave me almost 40 years ago with the
U.S.Military Police crossed pistols and my name engraved on one side and an inscribed
bit of advice in German.The "flint" is carneol,amber colored and "Alle kunst ist umsonst
wenn ein englein auf dir fundloch brunst".**

Bob Roller
** All skill is in vain if an angel takes a leak on the touch hole.

OK Bob you win the internet today. Best laugh I have had for a long time. I must have some angels with bad kidneys around my guns on some days.
Another good source is Mike Lea in Ohio.

Dale
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
Basically the same saying on a Scheutzen target in the Vogler shop in Old Salem, NC.  Love it! 

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 12:15:35 AM »
Anybody buy flints from Neolithics?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 01:23:54 AM »
Ray I bought some from them when they were 100 bucks. they good flints an by the time I went through the bag of 100 I had culled around 12 or so an they really were not culls being I dont mind using them out shooting in the yard. The rest are really good sharp black english that I trust for hunting an to me thats when everything has to be tip top 100%. They have since went up on their prices but its still a pretty good buy
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

ranger76

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 01:41:38 AM »
I get my flints from Palouse Trading Co. Daniel & Marilyn Crandall cranfam@turbonet.com
They have English and French flints good flints and good people. Lorne

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
Anybody buy flints from Neolithics?

I bought 2 dozen about a month ago the Texas and the white keokoe or however you spell it , the spark well But I though that just the top hump would be ground flat as they state on their website a lot of them have the bevels ground on them also , not as hidious as sawn trapazoid TC flints but not what I really was after either . But like I said they spark well I got about 30 shots out of the Texas chert yesterday and was still pretty sharp and making spark .

Offline EC121

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
I buy from Neolithics.  I haven't seen any with the edge ground, but that may be something new.  After you knap it, the ground edge shouldn't matter.  I also have my own grinder to get the humps off the top.  The Texas chert works fine for me.   
Brice Stultz

Offline Dobyns

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 05:44:28 AM »
I've used the black English and French amber quite a bit.  I bought French Amber several years back from Heritage Products before TOTW started to handle them.  I've since tried the Texas chert, and they were great at first, but didn't seem to keep up with the black or amber as numbers of shots increased, but I haven't shot nearly as many of them.