Author Topic: KRF Display  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Mac

• Starting Member
KRF Display
« on: August 30, 2017, 03:05:27 AM »
The Kentucky Rifle Foundation will be displaying 20 + "Longrifles with a DATE" at the 8th. Annual Eastern Pennsylvania Longrifle Show LLC/ cosponsor CLA Sept. 15th. & 16th. Rifles with dates from 1793 to 1895, Shof, Hoak, Neff, Georges ,Ebert, Molls, Border, Rupp, Sheiner, Spangler, Flowers, Hall, Houghtons, Dickert, Johnson just some of the makers will probably add more before the show
Believe this is the first time a display with this content has been presented, visit to view the rifles and please come out and support our antique/CLA only shows, great people willing to share there collection and knowledge.
For show directions, hours and contact info see the shows /events page.
Open to the public

Big Wolf

Re: KRF Display
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »
Might have to drive down to see that one, sounds interesting.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Wow - a fine opportunity to see dated rifles, and understand the change in size, components and style over time.  Since Mac and KRA are in charge, they'll be original flint or accurately restored, so an excellent chance for students and contemporary builders to learn what style lock and other details belong on rifles by these various makers at different points in time. 

Will these be on tables where they can be clearly viewed up close?  Owners there to discuss the rifles with us?  Photographs allowed?  thanks to all for the effort required and for sharing your collections with us.  Bob

Offline Mac

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:58:04 PM »
Yes, rifles will be displayed on table racks, with permission they may be handled and pictures are encouraged. Owners of all the rifles will be present for any question.

Offline VP

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:00:35 AM »
This show is a good opportunity for students and builders of Kentucky rifles to either visit or set up a table. The Kentucky Rifle Foundation's display, in conjunction with Mac Spencer, of over twenty rifles that have "dates" on them is something that hasn't been done before. I think it will make for some excellent study and discussion. The rifles will be laid out for study and photos. Even without this display this is always a great show, especially now since it is a CLA sponsored event also. Make your plans for September 15th, and 16th to make a visit.

VP

Offline Mac

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »
With the addition of the Martin Meylin 1705 rifle 29 "Longrifles with a DATE" will be on the KRF display.
As I stated previously photography permitted and with permission all rifles my be handled.
For those that have never attend there's 80 tables of great Longrifles/antique arms and accouterments.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
Here's a dated rifle made by Wm Shreckengost.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:28:53 AM »
I like that box!  Pretty cool.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 05:03:35 AM »
This is a great show for the collector, and if you're a builder, the Kentucky Rifle Foundation display is your opportunity to see and handle some excellent original longrifles.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
Sometimes I wish I lived back that way,,,,

For all the guys on this forum that wish they had the chance to see and handle some nice original rifles, this sounds like a great opportunity!

John
John Robbins

Offline HIB

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 05:49:53 AM »
Gentlemen and Ladies, I understand the number of dated rifles is now 29.

From the stand point and mind set of a collector the opportunity to view and handle 25+ dated rifles is exceptional.

It is also the perfect venue to test out the rifle 'Butt Plate Curve' theory used by collectors since the early 1950's. The theory is basically as follows:

- Early rifles or guns made in America prior to and during the F & I war had a primarily flat butt plate profile.

- Rifles and guns made after the F & I war, while still flat butted started to take on the appearance of a slight curve. This curve appearance/profile had more to do with an extended heel as opposed to a real curve.

- At some point slightly prior to or during the Rev War an actual curve started to appear on rifle and guns made during that time frame, however the curve was very slight.

- By 1800 the 'Butt plate curve' had evolved to a pleasing profile; not dramatic but you can tell it was not made for an early gun.

- Around or after the War of 1812 the curve evolved again and the profile changed more toward a quarter moon but not quite.

- In the 1820's thru the 1840's the 'Butt Plate Curve' became more dramatic on American made rifles and guns, in stages, until it arrived at the shoulder punishing shape of a half moon.

You can easily test this dynamic evolution of the 'Butt Plate Curve' by making the trip to Mac's Eastern Pennsylvania Kentucky Rifle show next weekend. I truly wish I could be there. 
Regards, HIB

Offline HIB

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 05:21:28 AM »
Gentlemen and Ladies, While you are testing out the 'Butt Plate Curve' theory you will also be able to answer the 'Pin vs. Wedge' theory. It was proven a long time ago in the minds of several experts but worth another look while you have 25 + examples to examine.

The theory is fairly simple:
- Early guns used barrel pins to attach the barrel to the forestock
- Middle period guns used wedges
- Later guns returned to pins

Apparently the transition back and forth has no distinct time frame other than period but it should be easy to advance the theory at Mac's show. Regards to all. HIB

Offline Mac

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:04:22 AM »
Per HIB comments about early versa later characteristic there is a very interesting comparisons study between the "John Shof 1793"  and the "Reading 1812" rifles, both are engraved on the PB.
If one just looked at the butt width and more robust architecture the "Reading 1812" rifle would seem to be ten years earlier than the "John Shof 1793" both have flat BP and they were made twenty miles of each other.
With 25 plus rifle to be on display there will be more interesting info to absorb, plus the 80 tables of items to view, buy, study.

Mac