Author Topic: Journey Begins  (Read 3186 times)

Offline tippit

Journey Begins
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
I've been forging for about a week now just to come up with what I'd like to go with my First Flintlock.  Y'all have been very helpful in pointing out the differences in my style of knife building vs the more period correctness styles.  I think I've forged out at least a half dozen knives and re-shaped/re-ground some of them three times these past few days.  Anyway Today is the real start of my Journey into the Longrifle Experience...got my TN poor boy 40 cal flintlock in the mail this afternoon!  I'm feeling pretty lucky...there must be a 4 leaf clover in that picture somewhere :)
Thanks again for the help...tippit

Offline Justin Urbantas

Re: Journey Begins
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »
That's a nice rifle you got there. ;)
I like that top knife. Well done.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:56:15 PM »
Good stuff! Have fun.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 06:59:39 PM »
 8) 8)... I see the 4-leaf clover... about 2'oclock high position on lock, just at tip of frizzen ...!!!!  ... Nice rifle ...Who is builder, & give us some specs .. !! .... Congrats,... you will like the .40 cal ...great TENNESSEE style ..... !!!!.... Enjoy her,..regards ... C C Fiddler ...

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:18:38 PM »
Great stuff indeed!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
  Cades next time we get together. I want the same stuff your drinking!!
  Because I sure can't see that 4 leaf. But non the less Tippit you got a fine rifle their. Enjoy the journey.  Oldtravler

Offline tippit

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:35:55 PM »
C C Fiddler,

I had been considering building a Jim Kibler Southern Rifle kit when a friend told me to look at your classifieds ad...

"For sale is a new Tennessee rifle made by me last winter.  Features a gorgeous curly maple stock with 13 3/4" pull. All furniture is slow rust browned iron. Barrel is a 42" Green Mountain barrel in 13/16" octagon. Lock is a Cochran Ketland style lock. Rifle also has double set single lever triggers for a very nice light pull. This is a very slim and trim rifle that balances really well, and is light enough to carry all day long. Some say .40 is the ideal caliber. Excellent target caliber, easy to load up for deer, or load down for small game." Builder Justin Urbantas

I am a newbie to black powder and I'm very grateful to have purchased this rifle to start me off.  I've been forging/blacksmithing knives for over a dozen years and thought I'd be able to put a kit together.  At this point I think it would have been a disaster...not so much the  building part but not knowing the look/ feel of a nice flintlock.  I learned very quickly as I tried to forge a couple of period style knives to go with this fine rifle...completely different than my normal ABS style of bladesmithing.  I know I'll have fun with it and plenty of opportunities to shoot it on a 4000 acre hog, deer, turkey lease I have in southern Georgia.  I'm really enjoying the ALR forums...tippit

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 12:33:25 AM »
 ;D ;D... Hey, Mike ..(O.T.) ...we were sitting around  at a place once and a fellow asked me what I liked to drink. ???... a buddy of mine chipped in .." whatever anyone else is buying..!!" ... so, I guess he's right ... !!!... Since I live just two ridges over from Mr. Jack's Hollow, I do sip his "product" from time to time...however have some friends of friends who bring a jar of wildcat by sometimes ... Now, Tippit.... Jason builds excellent rifles... Also great forged iron gun parts ... been trying to get him to hammer out a correct Trigger-guard & buttplate for a "Lawing" style Tennessee Rifle ....!!! .... BTW .. I have a TN rifle with a .45 Cal. 13/16 GM barrel ... light as a swamped barrel in the muzzle...+ as accurate as the man pulling the trigger ... !!! .... enjoy your gun .. regards, C C Fiddler .... 

Offline tippit

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 01:02:04 AM »
CC Fiddler,
I go to a primitive bow shoot in the spring at Chapmansboro,TN.  Been known to bring more mason jars back to Aiken, SC than selfbows.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:57:30 PM »
Very nice.  I need a hand-forged knife.

You're certainly jumping into the flintlock pool at the deep end.  Smart.  Took me several years of foreign "reproduction" rifles to finally get to where I was looking for custom-built rifles.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline tippit

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:04:15 PM »
bones92,
Those hand forged knives have already changed several times as I'm learning more about old time blades...latest version.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 12:19:05 AM »
  Hey C.C hope yeah had a good time after the CLA show.
  Did yeah ever convince Herchel to put that trigger gaurd on a rifle for you?
  Sure glad you got it.  Hopefully see yeah in Tennessee in April... Oldtravler