Author Topic: Hawken Rifile Barrel Length?  (Read 9567 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: Hawken Rifile Barrel Length?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 05:35:09 AM »
I love them Hawken rifles like y'all do. I have several in varying cal and length,from a 62  1 1/8 to 1" in 33 " ,a 54  1" x 36,which is a bit muzzle heavy,a flint halfstock  50 ,1" douglas 32",which was my number 1 for many years,and am currently building a half stock 50 cal Ed Rayle 1" x 30 which is a joy to shoulder and the balance point is just right.

I am looking forward to shooting this one hopefully before weather turns bad. Getting under rib ready to install now.
This is a great place to learn and build relationships. Welcome to the forum   Dave F 8) 8)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Hawken Rifile Barrel Length?
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 08:09:00 PM »
Hugh:  I think "destroy the accuracy" is a little extreme.  Bobbing the muzzle will simply make the barrel the same as every other muzzle loading barrel out there all from reputable makers...ie:  parallel bore.  For what I'm charging for the retro, I will not be cutting off the breech, re-breeching, cutting new dovetails for barrel tennons, plugging the rear sight dovetail, and cutting a new one of those.  And before I cut anything, I will re-fit the buttl plate at 14" lop and see how that changes the balance.  The barrel might not need cutting at all.  But the rifle does weigh 12 pounds, and the barrel is not tapered.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.