Author Topic: A very nice Houston Harrison Bucks County rifle on the Blog this morning.  (Read 4268 times)

Offline PPatch

Houston did some fine work during his life. I handled a pair of Scottish pistols made by him at one of the TN/KY shows some years ago, beautifully done and fine engraving.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline sqrldog

Re: A very nice Houston Harrison Bucks County rifle on the Blog this morning.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
Houston made some fine contemporary rifles and did excellent restoration work as well. I was in Houston's shop several times, it was always clean as a hospital operating room. As a compliment my friend the late Frank Bartlett said Houston threw things in the trash he would be proud to say he made. He made a copy of a Tn rifle I saw at Friendship that was  truly elegant it may have been a copy of the Zachariah Luster rifle.  He made a very accurate drawing of this petite little rifle. Truly a great craftsman he often did inlay work on guitars and was a very accomplished blue grass style player and singer. In the late eighties I made a video of Houston and a couple of other guys doing some impromptu bluegrass singing at Friendship. They were pretty darn good. Nice rifle on the blog but a little above my pay grade. Tim

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »
One of my lifetime blackpowder mistakes/regrets was when Houston wanted to build me a rifle, but I changed my mind and cancelled it.  Don't remember why.  Still kicking myself for that one.

Brice Stultz

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
  Mike allowed me to really check that rifle out at the show.
  Beautiful rifle but like a lot of people it is over my funds limit too!!
 Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »
Never saw a gun by him I didn't like. He built some of the best KY of the modern era. I suspect that price is right in the ball park. unfortunately a bit out of my financial situation as well ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
I'm seeing several references to a dollar number that no one can touch, but I don't know what that number is.  Please enlighten me!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
I'm seeing several references to a dollar number that no one can touch, but I don't know what that number is.  Please enlighten me!

It's in the blog posting with the description, $9,800.

I cannot "touch" that price personally, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality or value of that gun-neither of those is my affair. Appears to be a very fine example of his work, and Mr. Harrison is legendary 'round here. I regret not getting to meet him.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2017/09/houston-harrison-bucks-county-rifle.html

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:56:50 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »
Never saw a gun by him I didn't like. He built some of the best KY of the modern era. I suspect that price is right in the ball park. unfortunately a bit out of my financial situation as well ;)

Agree Mike; one of Mr Harrison Lancaster style rifles was also on display at the TN/KY show and it was top notch in every way.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
This is a very fine piece of work. the lock itself is incredibly well made but I have some flexibility on the pricing and would entertain reasonable offers if you would like to send me a private email we could consider them with the Ruggies. Thank you, Ken Gahagan

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 10:49:45 PM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting Houston. I have seen an John Armstrong copy that he made for a friend of mine and if it was not for the signature on the barrel you would not be able to tell it was not made by Armstrong himself. The man was definitely a very gifted person.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"