Author Topic: Square vs round patches  (Read 17999 times)

Lee44shootercnb

Re: Square vs round patches
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
I cut mine at the muzzle.  Always have, always will.

Black Hand

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 01:36:30 AM »
I cut mine at the muzzle.  Always have, always will.
Started that way then found pre-cut patches were far more convenient, faster and didn't get dirty the way a strip of pre-lubed material would. I also realized that I disliked the flavor/feeling of the dry cloth in my mouth....

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 11:39:19 PM »
Okay, I have picked up a couple types of pillow ticking, both 100% cotton, one a bit heavier than the other.

Also, my 1.25" hollow punch arrived.   I've taken a few stabs at punching out patches.  I tried using a short piece of 4x4" as a backer and giving the punch a few good hits.  It cuts about 70% of a circle, but I think the wood is a bit too soft.  Conversely, I don't want to use a metal backing (i.e. the flat top of my vise) either, as it will dull the punch.

What is the best backer?  I think someone here mentioned HDPE (high density polyethylene).   It has to be fairly rigid without dulling the punch.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 12:26:48 AM »
I would think a block of lead would work well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Black Hand

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 12:44:33 AM »
Okay, I have picked up a couple types of pillow ticking, both 100% cotton, one a bit heavier than the other.

Also, my 1.25" hollow punch arrived.   I've taken a few stabs at punching out patches.  I tried using a short piece of 4x4" as a backer and giving the punch a few good hits.  It cuts about 70% of a circle, but I think the wood is a bit too soft.  Conversely, I don't want to use a metal backing (i.e. the flat top of my vise) either, as it will dull the punch.

What is the best backer?  I think someone here mentioned HDPE (high density polyethylene).   It has to be fairly rigid without dulling the punch.
End-grain of a hardwood 4x4.

Offline bones92

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 12:46:06 AM »
Thanks, Mike and Black Hand.  I'll try those.

Lead is actually a great idea.  And I just happen to have some ingots.

Offline bones92

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 04:50:41 PM »
I think the 4x4 lumber around here is mainly pine.

But I did try using lead and it seems to work well.   Plus, if you pound a bunch of rings into the lead, the surface of the lead block can be dressed up with the hand sledge.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »

Guys, get a piece of 2" thick, UHMW or HDPE from a  plastics shop for cutting patches on, using arch punches.  It will cost very little and will last decades.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »
Okay...What is the best backer?  I think someone here mentioned HDPE (high density polyethylene).   It has to be fairly rigid without dulling the punch.

Guys, get a piece of 2" thick, UHMW or HDPE from a  plastics shop for cutting patches on, using arch punches.  It will cost very little and will last decades.

Ain't y'all got no firewood? or saws?  ;D   a few inches off the end of a some bodock would be my punching surface.  I already have a few bits of that laying around. 

In fact, smoothed up nicely (which can be a real chore)--makes one of the finest functioning/looking food-prep cutting/chopping boards you've ever seen.  I'll make a pic someday.  Be warned that if you cut it off green, it will split radially-the secret trick is finding old dead, pre-seasoned/checked wood in the log to play with.

Or also, if you don't live near industry-I think that plastic referred to above would be the same as is in the plastic cutting/chopping board that's out there in the rain where I dress fish.  ;)

Of course I cut at the muzzle.  :P
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:58:13 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 11:55:19 PM »
We had a big hickory tree fall a few years ago.  A neighbor sawed in into sections to split for firewood.  I got one that sits level and use it to punch felt, etc.  Works great so I aim to try punching patches on it.  If that doesn't work out I have an old plastic cutting board standing by.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:42 AM »
How many patches do you cut at a time with the arch punches?

Offline bones92

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 12:45:50 AM »
Ironically, there was a 4"x6" piece of some kind of synthetic material mounted to the bow of my boat... the previous owner left it on there after taking the trolling motor off.

Anyway, I suddenly remembered it, and took it off.  It's a very dense plastic of some kind, about 3/4" thick.  I assume it is either HDPE or UMHW.  I tried punching out some patches of ticking and it seemed to work well.  There are faint rings left where it struck.

The lead does work well, too.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »
Lead block is traditional for cordwainers/leather workers for punching leather so would be good for cloth.  As WadePatton stated, the plastic cutting boards (milky white color) works good too.

Jack Romanchock

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »
it would be a disservice to carry a patch knife and not use it. mine has worked very well since 1969

Offline bones92

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 09:35:21 PM »
Jack, I don't have a patch-knife....

Black Hand

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »
Jack, I don't have a patch-knife....
Neither do I.
I carry a belt knife, a folding knife and a penny knife - no patch knife....

A patch knife must be a knife invented by modern vendors to scam people out of their hard-earned money when they already have many serviceable knives at the ready.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:34:45 PM by Black Hand »

Offline 410-er

• Starting Member
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2017, 06:33:32 PM »
Used scissors in the past but this paper cutter I found really makes nice cuts and has a ruler at top for measurements!
Pictures 659 by t410er, on Flickr

Offline Daryl

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
How many patches do you cut at a time with the arch punches?

Usually up to 10 or 12 layers, so 3 whacks, 10 patches, move the punch, 3 whacks, 10 patches, etc.

The cutting boards are too thin for me.  The HDPE or UHMW (about the same stuff & is used for cutting boards) in 2" to 2 1/2" thick, is perfect.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:56:16 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
Converted hole saw?  Grid off the teeth. Grind a bevel, sharpen on the gun polishing wheel.  Run in drill press on slow speed.  Back with  a scrap of wood found on the floor.  Fold the patching material to make it many layers thick.

I made several cotters out of different size old hole saws that I got for 50-cents each at the used tool monger.   

I just cut a couple of hundred patches yesterday AM while waiting on my shooing partner to show up, 10 min? 

I do prefer swaged balls with pre-cut patches.  Fiddling with sprues and centering patches is annoying. 

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 01:46:38 AM »
Today I tried punching out patches; first on a the end grain of a dried section cut from a hickory and then a heavy lead plate.  It worked, after a fashion, but required up to 10 blows from my "dead blow" hammer.  I have two sets of punches.  I was unimpressed. 

Black Hand

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 02:05:01 AM »
Rip and cut....

Offline little joe

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
Do whatever is best for you, just do not BS yourself, run some tests and reach your own conclusion.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »
For me that's cut then cut with scissors.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »
Jingles Christmas....Picky!, Picky!, Picky!

Am I the only guy who uses a loading block?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »
I use loading blocks when hunting, not range shooting. On the trail, it's all from the pouch, of course, with lubed pre-cut patches - round is faster for me with punch and UHMW block.

When testing on the range, I still use a bag and horn, but also have the 'shooting box' with all the tools, hammer, drift, files, targets, stapler, other granulations of powder, different size balls and patches, different lubes, etc.
Daryl