Author Topic: old shotgun  (Read 2667 times)

Offline RVAH-7

old shotgun
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Hello to all. I'm seeking info on an old SxS 16 ga. acquired recently. The percussion locks have A. Bennett London. Pewter end on ramrod, walnut wood & checkered, steel buttplate & upper thimbles, silver entry with matching graceful trigger guard. What I'd like to know is if it is a "hardware store" production or other intent. Unique to me are the 40" barrels and the inscription on the rib about 4 inches beyond the breech  CINCINATTI GUN CURRITUCK STEEL  . Along with proof marks underneath is the numbers 10  8  12 with matching numbers on the face between the hammers. Along with the gun was an American Flask & Cap powder flask which still has brass loop chains on one side. (one website states they manufactured between 1857 to 1870).
Any comments would be appreciated.

Offline PPatch

Re: old shotgun
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:12:10 PM »
Hi RVAH-7; welcome to ALR.

Post pictures of the gun, side views, butt plate, any inlays, close ups of the locks and the poured putur entry pipe and for sure any markings, especially proof marks. If the barrels are of twist steel do not attempt to fire the shotgun without a thorough exam by a competent gunsmith who works with twist steel barrels.

"CURRITUCK STEEL" refers to the steel from North Carolina in the mid 1800s, but that does not mean too much. It is those proof marks that might tell the tale. I suspect the barrels and locks will prove to have been made in europe.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 09:41:13 PM »
There were several gun makers in Cinncinnati, and other places that imported gun parts from England and other parts of Europe and stocked them. I have several shotguns and a pistol marked with C Seibert that were done that way. With these firearms, many people believe that they were actually built by these makers as opposed to only being stocked by them. The only thing about your gun is the steel. "If" it came from North Carolina the barrels may be American.
Mark

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »
There were several gun makers in Cinncinnati, and other places that imported gun parts from England and other parts of Europe and stocked them. I have several shotguns and a pistol marked with C Seibert that were done that way. With these firearms, many people believe that they were actually built by these makers as opposed to only being stocked by them. The only thing about your gun is the steel. "If" it came from North Carolina the barrels may be American.
I don't believe I recall any barrel makers in America that were making twist steel barrels.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »
Mike,
I agree, but as I said "if" it's American steel.
Mark
Mark

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
Mike,
I agree, but as I said "if" it's American steel.
Mark
Yep, I understand. :)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?