Author Topic: Looking for a book on power horns  (Read 3077 times)

JB

Looking for a book on power horns
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »
Can anyone suggest a good book to read on how to make power horns?  I'm thinking I may want to try one.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Looking for a book on power horns
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »
If Tim Crosby gets on he'll have some good recommendations.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »
Here is one: Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn by Scott Sibley and Cathy Sibley
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 12:25:05 AM »
 That is THE Book to get started with. Take a look in the "Tutorial" forum here also.
If you need any help just ask here, there are many of us that will be glad to help you.

Tim C.

PS: Just saw that you are in Ohio, I am in Lancaster and would be more than happy to help you get started. TC
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:45:44 AM by Tim Crosby »

JB

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:17:25 AM »
That is THE Book to get started with. Take a look in the "Tutorial" forum here also.
If you need any help just ask here, there are many of us that will be glad to help you.

Tim C.

PS: Just saw that you are in Ohio, I am in Lancaster and would be more than happy to help you get started. TC

Thank you.  I may take you up on that.  I'm going to start reading up about how to get started.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:23:48 PM »
  Also American Pioneer Video  1-800-743-4675  Ron Ehlert made a VHS tape many Years ago, "Making Powder Horns",and I understand it it is available in CD,2 hours of showing how it is done,,I am a Type 3 learner,got to touch and see for it to sink in.Very good for the person starting out.

Horner75

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »
Here is one: Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn by Scott Sibley and Cathy Sibley
Dennis

Great recommendation!...If you are truly interested in making traditional powder horns, this book can't be beat for starting out on the right foot!

Rick

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 04:15:51 AM »
Hi JB,

Don't take that offer from Tim lightly.  He is a super horner, and very prolific.  Hands-on learning beats a book any day. 

Best wishes, and God bless,   Marc

JB

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:07:06 AM »
Dennis

Great recommendation!...If you are truly interested in making traditional powder horns, this book can't be beat for starting out on the right foot!

Rick

Ok, I just ordered the book..  I'm looking forward to making my first horn.