Author Topic: Working Up a .50 antelope Hunting Load  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Working Up a .50 antelope Hunting Load
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 11:05:54 PM »
Congrats Herb,all your planning paid off.Its always a bonus to fill your tag after many hours spent getting ready for a hunt,good on you.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 11:10:33 PM »
Congrats Herb!! Nicely done!

Offline Herb

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
Antelope buck heads are difficult to judge, but when you see a really big one, you know it.  The ears are six inches long, the eyes are six inches across and the head is 12 inches from base of skull to nose.  Any horns over 14 inches is a good head.   This is the seventh one I killed.  I used Boone and Crockett's score sheet to score them and they range from 66 4/8 points to 76 4/8 points, with a minimum of 80 points for B&C  book.  This one was second best with 74 2/8 points and I thought he was not very big.  But with storms this week and all else I had to do, it was a really good hunt.  Bob says it will stay with him for life.   I have suffered enough on past hunts, crawling through cactus, ants, rocks and sagebrush for half a mile to finally kill my biggest one, and I could not even walk when I got up.  We cooled and cut up the meat and my friends raved over the meat.  We divided it up.  It is common for lone bucks to come up to people out in the oil patch.  The people I tell about our hunt all tell of similar behavior by bucks.  If any non-resident wants to try for this hunt, I would be happy to advise.  I hunted it once as a non-resident when I lived in Colorado.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:26:51 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Herb

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 07:05:07 AM »
I took a roll of color print photos of antelope with my 400 mm Pentax lens during my three days of scouting and got it loaded into my computer.  Here is a really good buck, and I don't even remember where I saw him.  But he is probably Boone and Crockett.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:28:08 AM by Herb »
Herb

Bbell

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
Nice! I am hoping to draw a muzzleloader antelope tag here in Oregon soon. Never hunted them before but it looks fun.

Brandon

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 07:04:02 AM »
It's always fun to read your testing and hunting posts Herb.  That is a nice antelope by any measure, and in longbow range - crazy!  Don't be afraid to take the eaqsy shots...they are the minority, at least for me.  Great pictures !!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Herb

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 07:30:57 PM »
Some more buck pictures.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:29:06 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 08:06:39 PM »
Very good write up Herb, and Congrats on the successful hunt!

Lovely photos as well. Thanks for all of this thread!
And yes, the easy hunts help pay for the hard or normal ones!

Very best,
Richard.