Author Topic: Any interest in this lock? RCA #138'ish  (Read 18229 times)

Offline Chris Evrard

Any interest in this lock? RCA #138'ish
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:17:46 PM »
Hey All,

I'm just curious to see if there would be any interest in this lock. It started as a Chambers Colonial Virginia, and was modified to be a bridleless lock. The idea is to approximate the lock of RCA #138 on pages 590-593  Volume II.

I also changed the frizzen spring. All casting flash removed, polished screws and bearing surfaces, nice tight fitting frizzen, etc.

Nothing is "for sale" yet as I am just gauging interest for those who may want something just a little different.

Best, CE

PS. I am a recovering machinist ;) and one of the builders for Chambers Flintlocks, and have built about 2000 locks over the past 4 years. Also, if you have anything you'd like to see, let me know.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:26:48 PM by Chris Evrard »

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Any interest in this lock? RCA #138'ish
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:47:14 PM »
I like it. LOTS. I would buy one
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Percy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
I am interested, any idea when one might be available?

Percy

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »
  Me too! Nice looking lock..!  Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:07:48 PM »
I'd buy it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »
Nice workmanship -- I like it a lot also ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:46:37 PM »
Hey, I'm glad to see there are a few people who like it! I thought it would be very cool on a late-ish 18th century southern gun (or whatever!). And again, be something just a bit different than the others.

I toyed with the idea of taking the small moulding off the hammer too for a very plain appearance.

Anyhow the modifications to this single lock took me about 3 hours, which would make it a cost prohibitive lock. But if I can get together 6 commitments for this lock I think it would be worth the build, and I'd charge a little less than an hour of shop time per unit.

Send me a private message if you are in, and when we get enough commitments I'll have Barbie send me up the parts to make 'em.

Best,

CE

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »
PM sent Chris
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »
Would a John Manton flint lock with the sliding safety be doable? Big enough for 1&1/8 across the flats barrel.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 10:35:19 PM »
I just got the parts to do exactly that modification to the Virginia lock I already have on hand....
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Percy

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 10:50:36 PM »
PM sent.

Percy

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:19 PM »
Chris,
While I don't have a project soon that would require that lock, I do in fact have several projects in mind that would require changes to a Chamber's lock for which I may not be equipped to perform.
If you are looking for business in customizing locks, I suspect you might have some customers like me.

At this point in my gun building experience, I can file away to reduce and change the shape of components, but I cannot build new ones or add more metal to enlarge. You might find a niche market here.
I have in mind some projects that involve changing frizzen spring shape/size or changing the small decorative leaf design that extends from the frizzen spring screw hole (if that makes sense).
And sometimes, metal may need to be added to a cock or the tail of a lock plate. Right now, I cannot, and I suspect some builders, cannot do this.
These might be tasks that you could market.

I appreciate your posting of this lock, I hope it is successful.

Cheers, Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 12:49:30 AM »
Beautiful lock.  Well done!   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 02:05:21 AM »
To be sure I'm not missing something.....the pan has been unbridled right? Anything else?  I've always wanted this lock unbridled so this would be great.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Dave Patterson

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 03:38:45 AM »
Please don't market this lock.

If this goes on the market as a production lock, my bucket list of "upcoming builds" is gonna get a lot longer than it is now...    ;)

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 04:10:46 AM »
Chris,
While I don't have a project soon that would require that lock, I do in fact have several projects in mind that would require changes to a Chamber's lock for which I may not be equipped to perform.
If you are looking for business in customizing locks, I suspect you might have some customers like me.

At this point in my gun building experience, I can file away to reduce and change the shape of components, but I cannot build new ones or add more metal to enlarge. You might find a niche market here.
I have in mind some projects that involve changing frizzen spring shape/size or changing the small decorative leaf design that extends from the frizzen spring screw hole (if that makes sense).
And sometimes, metal may need to be added to a cock or the tail of a lock plate. Right now, I cannot, and I suspect some builders, cannot do this.
These might be tasks that you could market.

I appreciate your posting of this lock, I hope it is successful.

Cheers, Norm.

Hey Norm,

Sure, just about anything is possible. The "one off" stuff can get a bit expensive for some peoples taste though. That being said, I have a full shop and can weld and fabricate. Just send me a pm with your ideas and we can work out whatever you may have in mind.

Thanks!

Chris E.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:15:09 AM by Chris Evrard »

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 04:14:10 AM »
To be sure I'm not missing something.....the pan has been unbridled right? Anything else?  I've always wanted this lock unbridled so this would be great.

Mike,

Yes, the pan has been unbridled. As mentioned I changed the frizzen spring to approximate the look of Rifle #138 in RCA Vol. II. The rest is just removing casting flashing and giving all the screws and bearing surfaces a polish and a good tune.

I also thought about removing the small moulding on the hammer, but ehhh, can't decide on that. I'd probably just leave it up to the buyer.

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

Chris E.

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 04:19:02 AM »
Hey All, thanks for the kudos!

I think I got back to everyone who PM'd or asked a question. If I didn't please let me know.

It looks like I have 3 commitments so far, so if I can get 3 more I'll go ahead and build them.

Also, thank you for the suggestions. I'm always wondering where there may be a need for something not readily available.

Best,

Chris E.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
Chris,

Its a nice lock.  But if I have a build that requires such a lock I can make one out of the Chambers round faced locks in an hour or two.  So why wouldn't I just do that?  I realize I am a hobby builder and I am not trying to shave as much time off a build as the "professionals" are.  So it appears to me that the key is how many would be sold to the professional/for-the-money builders.

Just my thoughts on the question.

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Offline kudu

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »
I would like to see a pic, of the working side of the lock

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »
Not my place to say, but it's a standard Chambers Virginia lock on the inside.

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »
Chris,

Its a nice lock.  But if I have a build that requires such a lock I can make one out of the Chambers round faced locks in an hour or two.  So why wouldn't I just do that?  I realize I am a hobby builder and I am not trying to shave as much time off a build as the "professionals" are.  So it appears to me that the key is how many would be sold to the professional/for-the-money builders.

Just my thoughts on the question.

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

If you can, and want to and have the time, I would completely encourage you to do so.

After building several thousand locks I still couldn't do this mod and tune a single lock in 1-2 hours. It took me 3. The only way I can get that time down is to do multiple locks.

I know several builders who I do work for that just don't like the metal work much, or who don't have the necessary drills, reamers, taps, etc. I am the opposite as it is the wood work that kicks my butt all the time.

Best,

CE

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:25:48 PM by Chris Evrard »

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »

As Mike said, the internals are just plain ol' Chambers Colonial VA / English pieces. I'll snap a pic though and put it up this evening.

Best,

CE

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 04:02:28 PM »

Sorry it took me an extra day!

Best,

CE

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 12:52:04 AM »
  Chris after reading some of the posts. My opinion is that I get a fine tuned lock from someone who knows how to REALLY make them work.
  You just don't get that kind of expertise with out paying for it. But that's just my opinion. Others may very.
  You can have the fancy gun with all the bells an whistles. But without that lock, vent liner, trigger an a good barrel it's just an average gun.
  Just my thoughts.  Oldtravler