Author Topic: Salem Banded Horns  (Read 2428 times)

leviathan

Salem Banded Horns
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:26:38 AM »
Anybody know how long Banded horns were made in the Salem, N Carolina area? 1820's, 30's, 40's. Have always know they were made in the Piedmont of NC but didn't know how long.  Very grateful for your wisdom Gentlemen.

Offline Marcruger

Re: Salem Banded Horns
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:14:10 AM »
I am not positive anyone knows for sure.  Jay Hopkins might have the best answer for you, so you might contact him.  His second book, highly awaited, will cover the NC area as well as other Southern states. 

It has been my understanding that the banded horns are an early 1800s phenomenon.  I think the difficulty is how few were scrimshawed with dates. 

You may be disappointed trying to track down info on Salem banded horns.  There may have been some made there, but in my time at Old Salem, I have never heard anyone mention a horn maker.  I didn't say there wasn't one, I just haven't heard of it.  There is lots of documentation of longrifle makers there.  The Moravians wrote down everything, and controlled trades and production, so you can do research and determine if there was or wasn't a horner in town. 

The banded horns came from all over it appears.  The ones I think you are talking about are the ones with multiple bands.  I tend to think of those as being from piedmont NC, southern VA, SC and GA.  Jay's book will hopefully shed light on just where. 

Check Michael Briggs book on NC horns and Bill Ivey's NC longrifle book.  Both have nice horns shown in color. 

Banded horns are cool and a great field of study. 

Best wishes, and God Bless, Marc

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
It is my opinion that North Carolina Banded Powder Horns will date in the late Eighteenth Century and the early part of the Nineteenth Century. I base this on the date period of the rifles I know that surfaced with the original horn.  I do not think you will find Banded horns still being made in the 1830 and 1840 period as I have never seen one surface with a half-stock percussion rifle.

Jay Hopkins has the only Banded horn I know of that he attributes to the early Salem School.  Most of the original Banded Horns I own (seven) all surfaced in Guilford, Randolph, Alamance, Rowan, and Stokes Counties.

Here are a couple of favorites.

free image hosting for websites

Michael
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:36:32 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 12:06:42 AM »
Mr. Briggs is the authority here.  So nothing new to add. Good information. 

Cory Joe Stewart