Author Topic: help identify maker of old gun  (Read 3595 times)

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
help identify maker of old gun
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:51:22 AM »
A friend of mine has this old gun which has been handed down through the family. He asked me to help him learn more about it. I thought some more knowledgeable visitors to the forum could help to identify the maker and tell me more about the gun.

The caliber is 36. Barrel length 42" long, is .922" across the flats and is parallel sided. Stock is made of straight maple. See pictures attached.

It has the look of an Ohio styled rifle to my eye.

View of muzzle with what looks like 7 flats instead of round bore. There are no rifling grooves.

Left side.

Right butt stock.

Left butt stock.

Front sight with unique double dove tail. Have never seen this before. Has to be difficult to install. The workmanship on this is very nice.

There is a name stamped on the top barrel flat but it is not clear. Looks like J T Stack or J T Stace. Initials could be I T.

If anyone can provide information on this gun I would love to get your input. Many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:53:12 AM by gumboman »

Offline Hlbly

Re: help identify maker of old gun
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:24:09 AM »
L. T. Stack, Jamestown, Guilford county, NC, about 1860.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:27:05 AM »
Not an expert but I'd say NC probably Jamestown School. Someone else may be able to identify maker. Tim

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:33:04 AM »
Levin T. Stack worked on Wendover Ave in the 1840 to 1880 period in Guilford County.  His shop was three miles from Jamestown.  He is buried at Hickory Grove Methodist Church which is less than one mile from his house and shop.  He was very prolific.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 01:55:06 AM »
 Does it have a Wooden barrel rib?

Tim C.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 02:45:05 AM »
Barrel rib is iron and is riveted in. And I need to say it is very well done. The rivets are nearly invisible.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 04:48:49 AM »
Levin T. Stack worked on Wendover Ave in the 1840 to 1880 period in Guilford County.  His shop was three miles from Jamestown.  He is buried at Hickory Grove Methodist Church which is less than one mile from his house and shop.  He was very prolific.

Michael

Michael, thanks for the information. I located your story written for ALR about Guildord County gunmakers through a search on google. I found it very interesting. Thank you. I did find the mention of L T Stack. Pictures of his gun in your story look very much like the gun my friend has.

Any other detailed information you might have on LT Stack would be much appreciated.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 03:43:20 PM »
Many thanks to all who provided information on this rifle.