Author Topic: Show your range box  (Read 4398 times)

Offline vtmtnman

Show your range box
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:30:51 AM »
I'm looking to build a range box.I've searched and most of your guys' pics are on Photobucket so you can't see them anymore.

I have a couple ideas kicking about in my brain housing group but post some pics of your range box for some more ideas.

Thanks all.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Show your range box
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:04:19 AM »
Here's a link to a post from several years ago when I built my range box.  I restored the pictures that Photobucket is holding hostage.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4855

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
A recycled wood wine gift box.  I sanded off the inked lettering and removed the paper label, stained it a warm dark maple and gave it a coat or two of True Oil.  It's small compared to most range trunks others have but I like shooting from the bag mostly and the size keeps me from accumulating too many useless widgets.
I would happily post a picture but I keep it at the folks' place in PA and not at the apartment.
The best thing about these boxes is that someone has done all the hard work for you on the production line;we just get to fancy 'em up and make 'em our own.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
Ron-- beautiful box and excellent workmanship. Do you mind if I steal... um, I mean emulate your design?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »
  Ron You did an outstanding job. Very nice! Mike

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:54:33 AM »

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Kary

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 02:14:16 AM »
I made mine out of an old ammo box, leather hinges and tossed an eagle off of an old flagplole I think, on the lid for looks.

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 02:28:37 AM »
Some nice ones!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 03:37:27 AM »
Here's mine, the green one.  I picked it up at the CLA show this year and really like it.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 05:28:13 AM »
This is mine.  It's done the job for 25 years.  It's good enough for who it's for.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 12:38:31 AM »

;)  ::) 8)
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline RonC

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 03:02:41 AM »
This box began as a sewing box from Jo-ann's Fabric Store. I reinforced the bottom and corners and applied a stain to what was bare wood. I filled the space between the wood slats on the top.

The upper shelf is the top from an old, wooden 3 x 5 card holder.

Ron
Ron

Stickburner

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 03:44:47 AM »
I made this box about twenty years ago and it has served me well.  I laid out everything I absolutely needed for shooting from the bench and then built the box to hold only those items.  The wood is 1x12 pine and the outside dimensions are 11.25" wide, 11.25" deep and 12" tall excluding the risers on the bottom.

upload pictures to website

free image hosting gallery

upload image to url

bbcode image

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »
You guys are scary...really cool, but scary.  These boxes all show great ingenuity.

If I did not use the range to simply sight in, and shoot out of the pouch because I trail walk, I'd have a box and use you guys as examples.

OH, pish-tosh.  Now I gotta make a box.  forget what I just wrote.

When I shot my black powder guns in Cowboy Action, I had to have a gun cart because we had to lug our stuff around, so consider this as a range box...especially you old fogies who have to sit down once in a while...

Anybody out there use a portmanteau I can steal the image from?

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 02:40:16 AM »
James Rogers had a fine Portmanteau at the CLA show.  You may want to drop him a line and ask for a photo?   Best wishes, and God Bless,  Marc