Author Topic: First Pewter Knife Bolster Pour...Help!  (Read 4321 times)

Offline tippit

First Pewter Knife Bolster Pour...Help!
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »
My early period style knife forging is at another step.  Forged this blade this morning...still at a rough forged state.  It will be my first attempt at pouring a pewter bolster.  Got some pewter from TOW and have been reading about how to pouring pewter.  The moment of truth is here...but looking for any recommendation before I finish the blade and try a pour...tippit

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:02:01 AM by tippit »

Offline tippit

Re: First Pewter Knife Bolster Pour...Any Help Welcome
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:29:34 PM »
I squared up my shoulders for the pewter to fill in the gap...

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »
I don't see any kind of rebate to hold the pewter to the handle. I usually file a rebate into the front of the handle, that is wider towards the blade, so the pewter cap doesn't get loose. Hershel House shows this method on one of his blacksmith videos.  It's very much like pouring a nosecap on a rifle. You will have to heat the blade to keep the pewter from locking up when it touches cold steel.
 I get my pewter from thrift stores in the form of modern flagons.

Hungry Horse

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 11:58:56 PM »
Got some pewter from TOW and have been reading about how to pouring pewter.
You can also use Lead-free solder.

I'd file some sort of "tab" in the front end of the bone that will lock the pewter in place once poured.  In other words, file a ring in the font of the bone that is lower than the handle surface with the front end filed to an angle to lock pewter and bone together (think lock & key).

Offline tippit

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:25:32 AM »
The bone marrow cavity is open on both sides of the blade tang.  Will the pewter flow into the bone marrow cavity to lock everything in place.  Not sure what you are talking about filing a rebate or tab.  Do you mean to file the bone cavity thinner at the end thus forming a V into the bone marrow cavity?

Maybe I need to get Hershel House's blacksmithing DVD before I go any further.  Do you know which DVD that has that segment?  I tend to learn better with pictures.  There isn't much on YouTube.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:46:31 AM by tippit »

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:58:47 AM »
If you fill the cavity with pewter, I fear the knife will be very handle-heavy and awkward. Consider filling most of the marrow cavity with epoxy or wood.

As to the rest: Take a file and reduce the thickness of the bone by about 50% following the marrow cavity - I'd make this depressed area 1/4-1/2" in width . In doing so, make the front edge higher than the edge closest to the full-diameter bone (file a groove or several grooves). This creates a ridge or ridges that lock the pewter bolster in place. I'd also file a few V-grooves in the tang to lock the blade into the bolster as well.

It is also recommended you warm the area with a heat gun before pouring the molten pewter as it facilitates the flow of metal.

After pouring & cooling, dress off the pewter flush with the outer surface of the bone.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:27:57 PM by Black Hand »

Offline tippit

Re: First Pewter Knife Bolster Pour...Help!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 05:27:46 AM »
Ok...now I understand.  What a great place with so many helpful people. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:37:44 AM by tippit »

Online Jerry

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
tippit, Very useful and good looking forged blade...

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 08:07:41 PM »
If the cavity in the bone is quite large after you have the tang inserted you can pack some cotton balls down inside, not quite to the top, then your pewter won't fill the entire cavity and make it too heavy.