Author Topic: Chasing Hammer  (Read 8839 times)

J Shingler

Chasing Hammer
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:19:35 AM »
Thought I would get my hand back into engraving. I Took Mike Lea's engraving class 19 years ago and have forgot a lot and am very rusty. Thought I would make myself a new chasing hammer. My old one was just a 2.8 oz ballpean and this new one comes in at 1.8 oz. What do you  experienced engravers say? To light? I have only cut a few straight lines but seems to be ok. Like I say I am rusty and open to any input. As for the hammer I found a 1" bar of steel and chucked it in the lathe and turned out the basic shape. Milled out the middle and a slot for the handle. Cut out a curly ash handle and rounded it up and finished it with some Chambers stain and some Danish Oil.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:50:59 AM by rich pierce »

Offline P.Bigham

Re: Chasing Hammer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:10:23 AM »
Jeff  your hammer looks real good. I would suggest thinning down the handle some in the midlle to give it more spring.
" not all who wander are lost"

J Shingler

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 01:30:18 AM »
Paul, thanks for the reply. How much flex should I have? I know I can flex this with my hand but don't know how much I am really getting with this light head. The center part of the handle is about 1/4" You can get a little comparison by the shirt button I propped it up with. I will post my new vice stand later. It looks like it will be perfect!

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 02:40:41 AM »
 Jeff    I measured my hammer and Its 1/4 inch at the thinnest part of the round handle. After you mentioned the button It put things in perspective. I would say you are right on.
" not all who wander are lost"

J Shingler

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:41:00 AM »
Check out the engraving vice thread and it shows this hammer as well. It is a little guy. I think I will make another one and make it the next size larger. then I should be set.
 Thanks for the input!
Jeff

msblacksmith

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:42:27 AM »
good job on the hammer,it looks top notch.