Author Topic: L.O.P. Offhand VS bench rest  (Read 3421 times)

Offline okawbow

L.O.P. Offhand VS bench rest
« on: September 17, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
I shoot mostly offhand and never seem to get really comfortable shooting the same rifles from a rest.

Compared to an offhand rifle, is a longer or shorter length of pull better for shooting from a bench or over the log?
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

somehippy

Re: L.O.P. Offhand VS bench rest
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
I've kinda noticed the same thing.  My .40 has a 14" lop, from a rest it feels great, offhand, it seems like I **almost** have to reach a little, then again I really haven't done enough offhand shooting.  My rifle in progress now has a much shorter lop, 12.5".  I made it shorter for easier handling in Canadian winter attire and mostly off hand shooting, also so the woman to hopefully start shooting.  While it does certainly feel shorter, it feels good offhand, having my arms closer to my body shouldering the small rifle feels more solid.  These are just observations from some hippy...  Ideally we should strive for the same consistent "feel" rested and off hand I would think, but what do I know ow... I look forward to others comments.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
Interesting.  I'm one of those "little fellers" and can't abide lop too much over 13.5".  All mine have an lop of 13" except for the .50 which has a 12.5" lop.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
Interesting.  I'm one of those "little fellers" and can't abide lop too much over 13.5".  All mine have an lop of 13" except for the .50 which has a 12.5" lop.

English half stock sporting rifle like the Land that Taylor showed a while back with a 14" pull
is perfect for me wearing a light weight shirt.Maybe a 13"with heavy winter clothes.

Bob Roller

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:56:39 PM »

I'm in the same boat as you. For muzzleloaders I like a 12-3/4" to 13-1/8" pull anything over that and it feels uncomfortable. My modern trap guns are all 13-1/4" and my modern rifles are 13/-1/4" to 13/-1/2". I'd rather have a stock that is a bit too short than too long.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »
Oakawbow,
I shoot both offhand, not so much anymore, and table, used to shoot chunk also, and my LOP is the same for all. The biggest difference is in the cut of the butt relating to the drop as well as the shape of the butt plate. The other thing important in table/chunk shooting is the cheek weld position, it should be the same each time. There's a lot more to it than LOP.
Mark
Mark

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 01:41:21 AM »

I'm in the same boat as you. For muzzleloaders I like a 12-3/4" to 13-1/8" pull anything over that and it feels uncomfortable. My modern trap guns are all 13-1/4" and my modern rifles are 13/-1/4" to 13/-1/2". I'd rather have a stock that is a bit too short than too long.

Me too.  Jeff Cooper wrote that shorter LOPs were preferable; and he was a big guy.  His thoughts were that shorter LOPs helped "little fellers" and bigger shooters could still handle them just fine.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 03:23:06 AM »
I usually  go for 13&1/2" but on a heavier gun for hunting I like a little shorter to bring the balance point back just a bit and to allow for heavier clothing.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:07:18 PM »
My 14 bore has a 13.5" length of pull.  Taylor's 16 bore J. Lang also feels perfect.  I think if a person does enough shooting,

the actual length of pull becomes much less important.  I can easily shoot my daughter's rifle, with it's 12 1/2" pull as well.

You simply move your shoulder forward or back a bit, depending on where it needs to be for you to aim correctly, no matter

what the length of pull is, within reason of course.  Taylor has a couple Hawken rifles in the shop with 16" pulls. I could shoot

them and maybe well, but they do feel a mite awkward.  Kinda like in the buck and doe contests where the lady must shoot your

rifle, or vise-versa.  I find it is easier to shoot a short pull rifle, than one that is too long, imo.

What works offhand for me, also works off the bench.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:54:07 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bgf

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »
You can tolerate a little extra LOP off bench or chunk, but not sure it is desirable.  I think drop is more critical and like less on chunk gun than offhand, but I may be wrong.  My chunk gun actually has a little cast off built into stock as well.  I think that helps minimize awkwardness due to thicker buttstock, which is desirable for heavier loads.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
Could be BFG, however most stocks with cast-off usually have a cheek piece to return the wood to the original line with the bore. My .69 has an over 2" wide butt plate, however no cast-off and no

cheek piece, yet it fits perfectly in the pocket of my shoulder and does not leave bruises, even when using long range or hunting loads. they are not really very pleasant to shoot, but do not hurt or

bruise.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bgf

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »
Daryl,
You're right about the cheek piece and castoff.  Cheek just makes the butt that much wider.  Either way, if too wide, castoff can help.

A friend had a straight stock with cheek piece that  I could not get my eye behind the rear sight with decent cheek position.  I had to drop rifle lower and cant my head sideways to line up sights.  He did also, and never has shot that gun very well.