Author Topic: Cleaning trick that may be useful....(Required components list)  (Read 11000 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Cleaning trick that may be useful....(Required components list)
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:09:56 AM »
Yesterday I had a chance to shoot just a few rounds (for the first time) from the copy of the Chambers rifle I built a while back.  Got ready to clean it today with my usual remove the lock, plug the touch hole with a toothpick, fill the bore with water, etc., etc.  Just after I put the toothpick in the touch hole, I broke it off and spent a while trying to get the remnant out.  As I was doing this, I noticed that I had two high pull, small magnets on my work bench and had a thought.  These magnets are rare earth (Neodymium) and are 3/8 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch long.  They have a pull of 19 pounds.  So I cut a small piece of silicone tape to use as a gasket, placed that over the touch hole, and then held it in place with the magnets.  Long story short, it worked like a charm.  No leaks.  Easy to attach and easy to remove.  The magnets are commercially available.  To each his own but this is the new normal for me.  Thought others might like to hear about it.

Lock out, magnet and gasket, plug in place, all done.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:36:13 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Black Hand

Re: Cleaning trick that may be useful
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:23:06 AM »
If the toothpick breaks off flush, I just push the remnant into the barrel...

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:44:57 AM »
Me too.....but the toothpick trick often leaks for me at some point in the cleaning process.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

leadslinger62

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 05:16:56 AM »
 Now that is a slick trick and one I will have to try !!

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 05:24:32 AM »
I have had some good luck from putting grease on the round toothpick for a wood sealer.  The magnet idea is something to try.
Brice Stultz

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 06:46:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing Dave. Sounds like something I will try too.  :)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 07:21:44 AM »
The magnets in my photo are from McMaster Carr....... 1/2 " diameter by 1/2" long, 19 pound pull (you only need one).  Part Number 5862K29
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
Very good idea! You can salvage free neodymium (rare earth) magnets from old computer hard drives.  You'll need some very small torx bits (T6 and/or T8 usually) to remove the cover and some components from the hard drive and a screwdriver to pry the magnets out.  There's usually a pair... and be careful you don't pinch your fingers!  As Dave states, these magnets are strong!

Offline trentOH

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »
If I try this I'll try to paint the magnet orange, so that WHEN I drop it on the ground I'll be able to find the little rascal easier. Although I suppose I could also just sweep over the ground with the rifle barrel, and it will jump onto the barrel.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »
I have been using the little hose kit I bought at Dixons' faire.  Clamp it over the touch hole liner, insert the other end into a Folgers coffee can filled with water and run the rod and patch down.  What I like most about it is that the wet patch, when drawn sharply up the barrel, will soften the fouling log jam at the breech with the water it draws and my cleaning time is cut in half.

Since it relies on the flats to clamps tight, I dunno how to get it working if I ever build with a straight round barrel.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »
Toothpicks work pretty well and I wrap paper towels around the breech/wrist to catch leakage.  But the magnet sounds like a winner.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

HAWKEN

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
I really like the magnet idea and will definitely try it, wish I had thought of it first, LOL.  Keep yer powder dry.........robin  8)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 11:43:32 PM »
Very clever.  I was thinking about just using a small piece of duct tape.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 12:22:55 AM »
Put your magnets in a sandwich bag to keep iron filings off it if you drop it.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 12:31:40 AM »
I like it!  I like magnets in general and have found several uses from them in other applications.  Justifies getting myself a few more magnets to mess with. 

Offline Doc

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 01:03:03 AM »
I would bet a little dab of grease on the magnet would negate the need for a gasket.

Great idea.

Doc

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 01:22:32 AM »
Capgun.....

I have one of those clamp / tube gizmos.....but the clamp is not very solid for me as the touch hole on some of my rifles is a little below center and there is not sufficient area on the other side of the barrel for the clamp to hold on securely.  However, I do like pumping the water in and out of the bore with the ram rod.  I think I am going to replace the clamp on the end of the tube with a magnet with a hole through it.  These magnets machine fairly easily (except that the chips stick to anything magnetic....:)  I will report back on how it worked out.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

JB

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 04:45:44 AM »
Thanks.  I may try this.... Last time I cleaned my rifle- I wasn't paying attention and I forgot the tooth pick... It didn't take me long to figure out I screwed up.   ::)

Black Hand

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 05:10:19 AM »
Capgun.....

I have one of those clamp / tube gizmos.....but the clamp is not very solid for me as the touch hole on some of my rifles is a little below center and there is not sufficient area on the other side of the barrel for the clamp to hold on securely.  However, I do like pumping the water in and out of the bore with the ram rod.  I think I am going to replace the clamp on the end of the tube with a magnet with a hole through it.  These magnets machine fairly easily (except that the chips stick to anything magnetic....:)  I will report back on how it worked out.
It is unlikely the magnet will remain stuck to the side of the barrel with the water pressure pushing through the hole...

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 05:21:58 AM »
I will let you know, but these magnets, with 19 pounds of pull, take some effort to get back off the barrel.  I don't think it will be a problem.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Black Hand

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 05:27:31 AM »
Let me know how it works.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »
Me too.....but the toothpick trick often leaks for me at some point in the cleaning process.

That is slick , Dave.  The solution prevent to toothpick leaking has been right in front of us (most of us) all along! Well done.

The one and only time I had a toothpick leak when cleaning that way, was at rendezvous and using a NEW BP SOLVENT suggested by a shooting friend. He said it was amazing.  It was, as the

dribble of solvent ran down the side of my butt stock, it lifted off the finish and the stain leaving a white mark from the rear of the lock mortise to the butt plate.

Water is all I used before and most certainly all I will use ever again. No solvents or soaps are needed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:55:21 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 12:54:58 AM »
I cut a small green branch instead of using a toothpick, it is less likely to leak.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 01:53:01 AM »
I have a magnet with a hole through it.  Making up the fitting now to attach a tube.  Will let you know how it works out.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 11:04:15 PM »
OK....made up the required fitting and installed the magnet.  Put on the water tube, put the unit on the rifle, and dropped the tube end into a gallon jug of water.  Pumped the ram rod, with a patch and jag, up and down the bore as fast as I could about 20 times.  Worked perfectly with no leaks ...and the magnet / tube didn't come off the rifle.  (The water flow, even with fast pumping, is still restricted through a 1/16 inch touch hole.) 

The only improvement I intend to make is to glue the silicone gasket to the end of the magnet to eliminate dealing with a loose piece.  The only two guns of mine this won't work on are the brass barreled blunderbuss and my Ferguson.

Hope this trick helps someone out.

Dave C

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:08:45 PM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780