Author Topic: What Can You Tell Me About a Mortimer DB Shotgun...Proof Marks added  (Read 6898 times)

Offline tippit

Not sure where to post this...

I have an older Mortimer side x side black powder shotgun that has London Stub Twist Barrels?  They look to be Damascus.  I know it isn't a very expensive gun but I've had it for a good number of years.  I've never shot it. tippit

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:25:30 PM by tippit »

Offline tippit

Re: What Can You Tell Me About a Mortimer DB Shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:05:39 AM »
What I found so far searching the net...

When I was in veterinary school at Ohio State back in the late 60's/early 70's, I spent part of my senior year shooting quail in southern Ohio with black powder double 12ga shotguns.  Upon graduating and shortly after arriving in Boston to start my veterinary career, I found a couple of nice Damascus side x sides.  One was made in Liverpool England very elegant but because it was Damascus also very cheep.  I still shoot skeet with it and RST low pressure 12 ga shells.  The other was a Mortimer percussion double barrel black powder shotgun.  I never shot the gun but pulled it out of my gun safe today.  It is also some sot of Damascus barrel probably made in London/Scotland or even in Boston as there was a maker Kirkland & Mortimer in the late 1800s in Boston.  It was probably an inexpensive gun it it's day.  Anyway I have another Black Powder gun to try.  This one I'll secure in a tire and pull a string from behind a Large Tree to make sure it doesn't split the barrels

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:14:53 AM »
One picture of the lock isn't helpful.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tippit

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:24:10 AM »
I thought I up loaded a couple other pictures...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »
Pull the barrels and look at the proof marks. It will be English or Belgian. If the bores are in good  condition I'd probably shoot  it. That pattern of Damascus is stubb twist.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
The barrels would not have been made in America. As Mike said pull the barrels and look at the 'Proof Marks' the look here,

http://www.shotguns.se/html/proof_-_marks.html

Offline tippit

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
The left barrel is dinged at the end but barrels are in decent shape.  Here are more pictures and proof marks.  Thanks for your help and advise...Jeff

Offline L. Akers

Re: What Can You Tell Me About a Mortimer DB Shotgun...Proof Marks added
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Looks to me to be Birmingham, England proof marks, 1875-1887 and is marked 11 ga.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »
Do you suppose the Olyphont  means it was somehow associated with the East India Co?

Offline tippit

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:20:38 PM »
Big question...do you think it is worth shooting?  Advise appreciated.

I'd set it up secured in a tire and pull a string from behind a Large Tree to make sure the barrels don't split.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
Big question...do you think it is worth shooting?  Advise appreciated.

I'd set it up secured in a tire and pull a string from behind a Large Tree to make sure the barrels don't split.
Drop a light down the barrels . If the bores are good shoot it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »
Tiz what I'd so.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
Do you suppose the Olyphont  means it was somehow associated with the East India Co?

I think the "olyphont" is a barrel makers inspection stamp.  It is not a proof house stamp.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 10:58:06 PM »
Drop a light down the barrels . If the bores are good shoot it.
You can never tell the condition of any pits that may be in the barrels.  The first thing I always do with old doubles is to plug the nipples and pour both barrels full of alcohol.  Then stand it in the corner for a day.  If any of the pits go thru, the alcohol will leak out until it gets to the leaky pit.  This may be accompanied by alcohol running out of the breech area as most pits occur from the flux where the barrels have been soldered together.  Alcohol is "wetter" than water and dries more readily.  A couple of cans of cheap gas line deicer (Heet) will suffice.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline tippit

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 06:44:36 AM »
I took the Mortimer to my local Black Powder Shop (Hunters Rendezvous) and had the barrel looked at on the inside with a scope.  Everything seemed fine with just rust from sitting in my gun safe for all these years.  I'll try the alcohol trick before shooting it. They also tapped an old tapered rifle barrel down my left barrel to take out the ding.  If it shoots Ok now I won't have to cut the barrels down.

Before...

After...