Author Topic: Best of the Best  (Read 7978 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Best of the Best
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
   :( :(....Saddened that this sale is being held, Art, but very honourable for you to help this way .... something we (or our survivors) must all go through some day .... This is a great opportunity to own some remarkable pieces that are seldom offered for sale .... Best wishes for Bob, my respect for offering to share your great collection in this manner ......Regards,  C C Fiddler  ....... 

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:50:40 AM »
There are some really great guns in this collection, many by makers who are deceased or no longer making anything.  The prices are not exactly bargain basement but in almost all cases are less than what it would cost to have one of the current makers like Jud Brennan, Allen Martin, etc. make one for you today.  And, they are immediately available, no waiting months or years.  The vast majority of these pieces have never been fired.
We don't yet have photos of every one of them, but if you are seriously interested in a specific piece we can take a couple of photos and email them to you.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:08:05 AM »
I see that Buchle gun as a bargain. It's provenance and significance as a contemporary piece is notable. Time to consult the investment advisor.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »
Jim,
You know my interest is always in whether or not there are any built for a lefthand shooter..??
Some of the pieces are undoubtedly too nice to use for regular shooting, but I thought it worth asking to see if there are any LH rifles in the collection.
Thank You.

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
Yes, its sad to see someone who has to let their collection go but those guns built by some of the best will find good homes.Wish Bob all the best and hope his heath issues turn around.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
I see that Buchle gun as a bargain. It's provenance and significance as a contemporary piece is notable. Time to consult the investment advisor.
Investment advisor=wife? ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:24:33 PM »
Do you really need to add a question mark ;)

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:20:33 PM »
Don,
Unfortunately, there is not one single left hand rifle in the whole collection.  But, there are a few less expensive rifles that I would not hesitate to take out on a hunting trip.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »
Thank you Jim.
I enjoyed looking at the pictures already posted and look forward to seeing others from  the collection
Just for the pleasure of viewing so much fabulous work.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
We now have photos of all the rifles under $4,500 that we can send out.  I think there are some real bargains to be had here.

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »
Jim, are you going to post these pictures? Is there another place to see what is available?
Mark Thomas

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 03:15:01 AM »
We have photos of the rifles under $5,000 that we can email to anyone interested.  We are trying to get photos taken of all 74 of them that are still here for sale, but that takes time.  As soon as time permits (we still have to run out lock and rifle kit business) we will try to post them individually in the for sale section here.  But, until then, we can send photos of any individual rifle or pistol that might be of interest to anyone.

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 05:44:06 AM »
I am interested in the George Stanford rifle, #41.

Offline art riser

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
Rifles on Contemporary Makers FaceBook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/185110378489314/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:03:44 PM by art riser »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »
Unfortunately, you must be a member of fakebook to see..... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 03:54:54 AM »
If any of you guys are coming to the show in Front Royal, VA this weekend I will have 15 to 20 of the rifles & pistols from the Roughton collection there.  Stop by and take a look and at least say hello.  Who knows, one might follow you home.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 10:43:56 PM »
Investment advisor=wife? ;)
My advisor advised me to buy that Hacker Martin that was on the Contemporary Makers Blogspot. I took her advice  8).
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 05:50:29 AM »
I had the great pleasure of personally picking up a Bob Harn gun from the collection yesterday at Jim's place.  Jim and Karen were most gracious hosts and it was amazing to view others from the collection.  Truly a treat and an afternoon I'll always remember and treasure.

Done right is better than done fast.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 07:22:19 AM »
Jim Chambers  "Your a saint" !!...thats a full time job in itself.

The collection is amazing.......

Hope for your sake it sells sooner than later. A man's gotta retire someday.