Author Topic: mold on leather  (Read 4132 times)

hilltopper

mold on leather
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »
Hi y'all .
 I have a problem that I need some advice on. I have an oil tanned elkhide shooting bag that hangs with one of my longrifles, and for some reason,over the summer,it it got a lot of mold on it.  Can anyone tell me hoe to restore the damage? Thanks in advance :'(

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: mold on leather
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:43:43 PM »
I had that happen once.  You can just wipe it off, but any color change will probably stay.  I have no idea what causes it. 

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:26:59 AM »
Once the mold spores are in the leather, the only thing I know will kill it is Lysol.

Yes, the alcohol in Lysol will tend to dry the leather, but it is ruined with mold/mildew.  So you have nothing to lose. Saddle soap afterwards will help restore some suppleness. 

Especially spray the suede rough side.  The spores can really hide in there. 

Don't get the hide near any of your other leather, and don't wipe it down inside.  No need to spread that stuff. 

Laying it out in the sun can help after the Lysol.

Keep your leather in an area you'd want to live in....as in, low humidity and a reasonable temp. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:01:54 AM »
I read or the net somewhere a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and water.

Wipe off mold. Spray with mixture until damp. Let set till dry. Then place in the sun all day. The sun light and open air help eliminate the moldy smell.

Apply saddle soap or other preservative.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:26:42 AM »
Hang it out in the sun shine for a few days .Be carefull with vinegar as it has acid in it .

Offline msellers

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:21:42 AM »
Hilltopper,
I should ask first, it is a dry white mold or a more slimy mold?  When working on old saddles, I would wipe with hot water and a soft sponge till the water rang out clean. Then wash it with Murphys oil soap and water before I oiled it with a good natural leather conditioner like Skidmore's leather cream or Lexall depending on size of project. Skidmore's works best on a veg tanned leather, but is good for about anything.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:28:16 AM by msellers »

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 03:13:24 AM »
Has anyone ever used isopropyl alcohol for this? Just curious.

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 05:32:59 AM »
I had a bag mold.  I scrubbed it good with saddle soap and put it in the sun for a couple of days.  Then I put a couple of coats of Tru-oil on it.  No more mold.  That was a year ago.  I store it in the unheated shop.
Brice Stultz

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »
SligoBill..."Has anyone ever used isopropyl alcohol for this? Just curious."...

Lovely little thread here, because everybody's recommendations are viable

Yeah, Sligo,  I did once, but it is just as distasteful as the other things mentioned in this thread.  It was a pair of elkskin, Seneca mocassins I  made and really liked too much to just chuck 'em. I turned -em inside out and Lysol-ed the $#@* outta them first.  Then I alcohol-ed the hard sole I had stitched onto them earlier. 

Generally, the sunlight is the best cure.  I almost hate to say this, but the best results I ever got on an old piece of mouldy deer or elk bag  was to throw it in the washer with some rags in a normal cycle.  I had to put it out in the sun and re-establish the supple qualities with a lot of time, flexing, folding and saddle soaping it.  I think I used some pine product paste  on it and it was fine.

Mind you, I considered that bag  and those mocassins lost to start off with, so I was willing to gamble a little.

As I learned more about my craft over the years, it turns out that washing and kneading  was no more brutal to it than lysol or alcohol.

Just make sure, before you start, that re-making is not better than restoring, the stitching is not vulnerable, any attached parts can be safeguarded and the decorations or color can be brought back before you start the surgery.

I won't do it on shoes, though, because the uppers are already stretched and distorted and any strong substance will shorten the life of the product.

Hope this helps

Capgun.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 10:30:15 PM »
Iv'e had good results using straight Balistol.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 12:46:53 AM »
 The mold is alive, wiping it off is a quick fix. Massive doses of Sun shine, outside/open air will help but you have to kill the mold, it is in the pours of the leather. I have used a commercial Mildew spray on leather that has worked but just spraying is not enough. Wipe, Spray, Wipe, Sunshine, when dry Saddle Soap, dry again, then kneed it, roll it over a round edged board and rub in a L I t t le neat's foot oil. I know folks don't like saddle soap or neat's foot oil but it works. Another product that I have used for years is Dr. Jackson's Leather Preservative. I know it is an petroleum based product but it works. I used to use it restoring Antique harness.

M2CW, Tim C.

Offline tippit

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 02:26:42 AM »
Happens all the time on saddles.  I use Windex then Saddle soap or leather conditioner.  Keep out of damp areas plus plenty of sun.

Offline JLBSparks

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 03:45:53 AM »
I haven't tried this on "rough" leather, but on "slick" leather (motorcycle saddlebags) window cleaner works great.

-Joe