Author Topic: ... Powder Horn Stained ....  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

... Powder Horn Stained ....
« on: September 26, 2017, 03:11:33 AM »
 ??? ??? ???........ Have just put brown shoe polish on this horn as the final "stain" ...... It did what shoe polish is supposed to do, I guess .....made it "Shiney" ...... too shiney for me ... !!! .... like the colour, but want to dull down the shine ..... I know that some original horns were sealed with varnish of some kind ....have seen 'em ... they "crackle" and "yeller" with age ....Wonder how a spray dull-coat would be as a sealer for the colour ...???.... anybody ever done this ...???.... comments welcome ... Regards, C.C. Fiddler ;) ;) ;)

i want to upload my photo

Offline Marcruger

Re: ... Powder Horn Stained ....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 03:42:22 AM »
Cool color on that horn brother.  It reminds me of one of Tim Crosby's recent stains.  Very nice. 

I like the whole horn.  The contrasting bands are sharp. 

You asked about putting something over it since it has been stained and then shoe polished. 

My thoughts?  You're done.  Shoe polish is basically wax.  We use wax to keep epoxy from sticking to things.  I believe anything you put over it will come right off......IF it dries at all. 

I think what you are seeing on old horns is shellac that is crazing.  Tim told me about that. 

I think I'd leave well enough alone on that horn.  It is a fine looking horn.  Two thumbs up from this reviewer. 

Best wishes, and God bless,   Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 03:45:48 AM »
BTW, it doesn't appear that you got shoe polish in the grooves of the bands.  I think it would high-light your turning work.  Just my 2 cents worth.

In thinking about it, you may try in a tiny spot some fine Scotchbrite pad.  Rub VERY lightly so as not to go through your stain in a test spot.  May dull it slightly.  Did you use Feibings or Lincoln leather dye? 

Still, I like it as it is.   God bless,   Marc

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:56:50 AM »
 The removal tool for wax is mineral spirits. Conservationists (of old wood objects) like wax as a finish because it is removable (conservation term is reversible). Most of the wax color will probably go as well.
Okieboy

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
Nice horn, dana.      Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
 Good looking horn, looks right to me, its gonna lighten up some. Well Done.

Tim C.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 05:57:14 PM »
  C.C. Very nice horn..! Myself I'd leave it the way it is.
  Oldtravler

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 07:21:07 PM »
I don't have any suggestions about dulling the shine except for the usual one of using Scotchbrite or steel wool. But that's a very nice looking horn! If it were mine, I would leave it as is.

Offline gusd

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »
Very nice horn, color is perfect, would not change anything!
Gus

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 09:06:17 PM »
I used shoe polish to color some antlers I had made into candlestick holders. They looked great. But, within two years they were pale again having lost almost all their color (FYI they never saw the sun). Hope you have better luck! I used Kiwi brand.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:07:02 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 03:14:53 PM »
 I should add that while I do use Shoe Polish on horns, it is not used to stain them. More to add Patina to them. Robbed on and left it can look like an accumulation of dirt and grime. Buffed off it makes the horn look handled, a lot of old horns have that look. Not looking for a glossy/polished finish.

Tim C.