Author Topic: Valley of VA/ Sheetz smoothbore?  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Valley of VA/ Sheetz smoothbore?
« on: September 29, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »
Does anyone have a picture or referrence to a gun like this? I've looked in the virtual library but haven't seen it if it's there.
More description- Oct/ round Bbl, fowler type trigger guard, no cheekpiece or patchbox, Sheetz style side plate.
I don't own Whisker's book on VA rifles but I had it on loan for a while. Maybe there is one in that book.
Anyone? Anyone?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline homerifle

Re: Valley of VA/ Sheetz smoothbore?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »
See "Gunsmiths of West Virginia" Lambert, Whiskers, page 91  M. Sheetz, Shepherdstown fowling piece.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
 Could it be a Lauck you are thinking about?

Tim C.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:20 PM »

Who do you think made this?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:25:09 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »
All of my Virginia rifles have a squared off finial on the side plate.  Where is the rest of the gun? 

Offline homerifle

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 03:57:30 AM »
Like AVLRC said, Lets see the rest of it!

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 02:56:23 PM »
See "Gunsmiths of West Virginia" Lambert, Whiskers, page 91  M. Sheetz, Shepherdstown fowling piece.
I don't have access to this book. I'd sure like to see the picture, though.

Treebeard

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
Nordnecker-- I have had some luck with interlibrary Loan in getting hard to find or books I can not afford. When successful I copy items of interest for future reference. It's a great free or low cost service.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »
I just want to thank everyone for their input. I have since seen a picture of the rifle mentioned. But it is definately not the same as the one I'm puzzling over.
I hate to be vague, but at this time, I am not at liberty to post any more info on this gun simply because I don't have permission from the owner.
But if anybody else wants to comment on the side plate and who might have made it, I'm all ears.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »
I was able to get another look at this gun yesterday. First thing I did was check to see if it was loaded. It was. After looking it over for an hour or so, the evening light got just right and revealed what I beleive to be a signature on the barrel. The gun and it's owner will be with me at the Front Royal show today. It will be nice to get some expert opinions on it.