Author Topic: Help identifying Rifles Mowrey and Warranted?  (Read 5893 times)

Subman

Help identifying Rifles Mowrey and Warranted?
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:34:07 AM »
Hello Everyone
I could some help identifying these Rifles.

Thanks for the help
Darryl

Offline Hlbly

Re: Help identifying Rifles Mowrey and Warranted?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:08:32 AM »
Those are modern reproductions.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:17:52 AM »
Yep Hlbly is correct so let move them over to the Contempoary Longrifle Collecting and see if anyone knows who might have made them.
Dennis
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:19:19 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:02:45 AM »
I can offer no further info on the 1st rifle, but the one stamped "Mowrey" is a repro of an Allen and Thurber rifle and made by The Mowrey Gun Works. They were first located in Texas and then in Indiana.  They had the reputation as dependable, accurate rifles.  The box locks had, I believe, only 5 parts including screws.  The barrels were cut rifled 1 turn in 30" and came in many lengths.

Offline HIB

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:29:03 AM »
 Subman, Welcome to the hobby. Back in the 60's and 70's there was a company called 'Thomson Center'. Not certain they are still around today but the one I had was a rather plain rifle of above standard quality. The rifle in the first photo marked 'Warranted' looks similar in style to the 'Thompson Center' product, however, it has been altered with the carving and brass work. The alteration was common as shooters wanted to dandy up there guns. That is not a negative in your case as my comment only refers the habit of alteration. My gun was flint and shot very well. Basically, it was all I could afford at the time.

'Warranted': This is not a maker nor the gunsmith or the company who made your gun. It is simply a statement indicating the lock left the factory in working order. The stamp was common along with the lock makers name in the 18th and 19th centuries, ie: Bishop Warranted. Bishop being the lock maker and in most cases not the gunsmith who built the gun. Early lock making was a 'cottage industry' in England and several other European countries. English locks from the 18th and 19th centuries were distinctively different in appearance than German or American hand made locks. A whole lot to learn regarding early lock making but it doesn't apply here as your gun is modern made.

If you are anywhere near being new to 'Black Powder' shooting I suggest you take both guns to a competent local gunsmith and seek advice as to their working condition. Best to be safe rather than sorry. HIB
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:32:39 PM by Tim Crosby »

Subman

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »
Thank you all for helping me.

Offline Levy

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 09:01:51 PM »
Looking at the capbox and the buttplate on the first rifle reminds me of something that might have been manufactured by Numrich Arms Co. back in the 70's.  James Levy
James Levy

Subman

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 04:09:04 AM »
Thanks Levy i will see what i can fine.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
Thank you all for helping me.

Thompson/Center is TODAY TC and I think owned by Smith&Wesson who is in turn owned by???whatever conglomerate.
W.L Mowrey of Olney,Texas. I did some locks for their Hawken type rifles in the
mid 1960's. Sold to a company in Indiana and used the Mowrey name as a DBA.(Doing Business As)
for a while.Long gone now.

Bob Roller

nosrettap1958

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
That's their Schuetzen rifle.  Mowrey Gun Works made a few models like their 'Rocky Mountain Hunter' and the Ethan Allen classic whish was beautiful. All are boxlocks under the Allen & Thurber patent.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »
The Rocky Mountain Hunter had an iron framed boxlock while the other models like yours all had brass framed boxlocks.  I had both but their Schuetzen model was supposed to be their absolute best shooting rifle.

smiller

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »
I'm not an expert about muzzleloading rifles, but I thought I would just add to the description of the Mowrey rifle that is made in the Schuetzen style.  There was a muzzleloading gunsmith who lived at Pottsville, PA named George Schalck.  He was very prominent in making Schuetzen rifles.  He made rifles with back action locks, with the brass forearm and without a barrel rib like the rifle pictured.  A very beautiful rifle!