Author Topic: How and what do you use to prime with?  (Read 13360 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: How and what do you use to prime with?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 10:19:42 PM »
I can verify that if the humidity is very high, the brass spring primers sure do plug up.  In those cases the little leg bone primer shines.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Daryl

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »
That eventually happened to mine, about the same time the spring gave up the ghost, so I switched to tapered wooden plugs I can pull out of the horn & hold with my teeth, prime then reinsert in the horn quite easily. A longer than normal 'internal stem' on the plug helps to align it back onto the little priming horn.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:31:15 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 03:02:00 AM »
haven't used this in years.   prime from the main horn now.

easy to make

Mark,
I like that one, how well did it work? I have some Dogwood (tight smooth grain) that would work well for the wooden part and I have a few pieces of large Elk horn that would work well for the reservoir. About what size holes are used?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
I tend to look at every part of a priming horn/flask for it potential value as shrapnel. Lots of flat springs, and metal parts, give me the Willys. The old sheet copper pistol flasks were designed to vent through the solder seam if ignited. Some of these home grown flasks could easily become a hand grenade in my opinion.

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »
Here's a picture of the primers I currently am using.  The brass 'grenade' on the left has a 1/2" hole drilled though it and covered with leather.  this may be just a feel good fix but it's better than nothing, and I do not use it much.  I prefer the soft wood pegs, made long enough to be withdrawn and re-inserted with the teeth.  All my primers have lanyards to hang around my neck, and I find that easiest to use.  The brass plunger type nozzle works pretty good here, as humidity is usually pretty low, but I have rectified that issue on this type of nozzle by soldering a short sheet brass extension to the tip, so that the opening of the tube is not shoved into the muck in the pan.  Another way to use that type of primer, is to press the nozzle against the heel of the open frizzen face, allowing the prime to drop into the pan.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:13:53 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 01:13:45 AM »
dennis
      the hole into the antler section is 5/8" x 2 1/4" deep.  the walnut plug is friction fit 3/8" into the antler.  drilled out with 1/4" bit with a 1" long piece of 1/4" copper tube for the spout. horn end of the plug is countersunk for powder flow.  the cross pin started out as a 3/8"  mulberry dowel turned down to a proud 5/16" for burnishing.  the slight curve on the antler fits the hand nicely.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 04:57:33 AM »
dennis
      the hole into the antler section is 5/8" x 2 1/4" deep.  the walnut plug is friction fit 3/8" into the antler.  drilled out with 1/4" bit with a 1" long piece of 1/4" copper tube for the spout. horn end of the plug is countersunk for powder flow.  the cross pin started out as a 3/8"  mulberry dowel turned down to a proud 5/16" for burnishing.  the slight curve on the antler fits the hand nicely.

Mark,
Thanks for taking time to give me those dimensions. I want to make one of those.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline little joe

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
E. Christopher Firearms Co. made a 4 dollar powder grinder, all wood that would grind about 1 table spoon at a time  of 3f into fine grain or dust if you wanted. I think it was faster ignition.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »
The trouble with ground powder is the dust...it sucks up water faster than brain tanned buckskin.  FFFg GOEX is fine (x4) powder without the dust.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Daryl

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
FFFFG GOEX - no dust, fine powder works great. I did not see any difference with 3F, except maybe the speed of ignition, real (we know 4 is faster than 3) or imagined.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2017, 12:05:21 AM »
glad to help dennis.   i've never had it clog or get sloppy.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 02:26:34 AM »
I have a separate horn with 4F.Don't see the need to use one of the brass primers.If I'm in a hurry to get reloaded chasing after a squirrel I may overfill it but a quick brush with my thumb and it's good.

Offline little joe

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 02:46:38 AM »
The trouble with ground powder is the dust...it sucks up water faster than brain tanned buckskin.  FFFg GOEX is fine (x4) powder without the dust.
Talking, the ground powder I would use for line shooting, and 3 or 4 f for hunting. Dennis did not say which in his orginal post.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2017, 04:42:42 AM »
I fill this with 3f, used to fill with 4f but I thought it picked up moisture being that fine.
At the range I use one of those brass plunge valve things.
Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Carney Pace

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
What ever is in the horn I load with.

I have some 7f that works great of the bench really fast. but for normal offhand work what ever is in the horn.

Carney

Dave Patterson

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2017, 07:30:32 PM »
I started out with the little brass push-primer thingy, and 4F Goex...

then somebody here on the Forums said, "... hand grenade...", and I went, "Wait... WHAT!?!".  About that time, in another thread, there was a long discussion about relative ignition speeds of the various grain sizes of Goex.

Since then, I've been using the main horn (2F Goex) for both charging and priming, and dumping any excess:  haven't had an issue yet with that method.  She always goes "BANG".  Figured, if it worked for the oldtimers, it'd probably work OK for me.

On the other hand, I'm not a competitive target shooter, either.  About the smallest group I've gotta produce is minute-of-jackrabbit.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:22:11 AM by Dave Patterson »

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2017, 10:28:23 PM »
I use 4F the great majority of the time simply because I have a good supply of it.  At the range I always drop in a fairly specific amount of either 4F or 3F.  Honestly, I can tell no difference between the two since my follow-through is quite leisurely.  In the bush I just dump some in and brush off the excess, if there is any.  And while I use 4F there, too, I may quickly prime from the horn.  Since, in hunting deer, I'm as likely to carry a few premeasured charges; A small primer goes with me filled with 4F.

John Ciccone

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »
When, I began shooting  flintlock pistol, I used the brass push-tip powder dispenser. Guys on the USIMLT warned me not to use it. It seems there was a match, not sure how, but apart ignited the powder in it and blew off two of his fingers. What we use now is a plastic squeeze bottle, the very small ones that are used for eye drops. As we tend to use Null-B, the powder is fine enough to be 'puffed" into the flash pan.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
When I use 4f I use this little horn made by Orville Mumma circa late 80s.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
I am functional rather than historic with my priming. I have the larger of the two typically seen brass plunger priming devices. It and a vent pick are attached to a key ring holder like a maintenance man usually carries, and clips onto my belt on my left side (for shooting left handed). There is also a strip of cloth attached to clean the pan, sop up blood from an ultra sharp flint, etc.

Offline Molly

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 04:03:46 AM »
Maybe not a "horn" but works very well.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/73/1/FLASK-PP-FF

After a few outings it will look 200 years old too.

No "pushing" multiple times, just hold the spring loaded button and let it flow to the level appropriate.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »
That does look pretty good.  I might even get one.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:27 AM »
I like the pick on there but might poke my eye out. I really like Taylor's idea of a neck-hung priming horn for woods walks.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
Priming- when your little 4F priming cow horn runs out, you use your big 3F cow horn - then dump the excess out of the pan. Both horns use wooden plugs. I stopped using the brass hand-grenade priming horns some years back.

Me too on all counts.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 06:21:48 PM »
This is my go to primer.  The natural curve allows you to go over the top of the lock, instead of reaching around.  All nice hand forged springs, and cap, with a lanyard loop. 

photo upload and share
In His grip,

Dane