Author Topic: How and what do you use to prime with?  (Read 13335 times)

Offline Blacktail

Re: How and what do you use to prime with?
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2017, 08:40:51 AM »
Here's a picture of the primers I currently am using.  The brass 'grenade' on the left has a 1/2" hole drilled though it and covered with leather.  this may be just a feel good fix but it's better than nothing, and I do not use it much.  I prefer the soft wood pegs, made long enough to be withdrawn and re-inserted with the teeth.  All my primers have lanyards to hang around my neck, and I find that easiest to use.  The brass plunger type nozzle works pretty good here, as humidity is usually pretty low, but I have rectified that issue on this type of nozzle by soldering a short sheet brass extension to the tip, so that the opening of the tube is not shoved into the muck in the pan.  Another way to use that type of primer, is to press the nozzle against the heel of the open frizzen face, allowing the prime to drop into the pan.

Taylor, that mountain goat horn primer is cool!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 02:42:48 AM »
The two on the right are both mountain goat horns.  The second from the right is simply burnished to remove some of the scale, but the horn is rough.  It is capped with ebony and holds enough powder to shoot a 50 shot trail.  the one on the right end is a polished hourn of smaller dimensions.  Its curve was too great to drill in one pass, there being a considerable amount of solid horn to get through, so the maker cut the horn, drilled both pieces and glued the thing back together again with a wood spacer.  I prefer primers that have a wooden peg long enough to withdraw and re-insert with the teeth.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
I use the little brass priming flasks for now but I really want to try this one out soon.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Kary

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2017, 05:00:45 AM »
I have several primers, both brass flasks and horns. Recently I have stopped using all of them and found its easier just prime out of my main horn , using the same powder as my charge. It's messy, but works well for me.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »
Bones,

That's a nicely shaped flask!

What's it made of?

I just prime from my main horn, 2F most times. Seems to go off as well as any other.
Good lock is the key.  I Like Jim Chambers English type. Or Early Ketland. Or originals but thy too can vary.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 05:59:41 AM »
Dennis, I use a small cylindrical brass and copper primer that I make. I use 4fg priming powder for my smoothbore.