Author Topic: What gun this season?  (Read 7327 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
What gun this season?
« on: October 04, 2017, 01:28:24 AM »
Which guns/rifles will the rest of the forum be using this year for both large and small game?

Any small game I go after will be hunted with the .36 SMR; accurate to a fault.  Here - chasing deer -  in my local bailiwick it will be my flintlock .62 smoothbore.  At the range today my usual good load of 70 grains of 3F, a paper op wad and a 330 grain ball nestled in a mink oil lubed flannel patch.  I tried it using 2F and it was as dismal as always.  At 50 yards this combo is centered and groups 3 shots well under 3".  In WV I'll take my .50 flintlock - 70 grains of 3F and a .490" ball, mink oil on a .020" to .022" depending on what material I use.  The flint .45 will stand by in case it's needed.  60 grains of 3F under a .440" ball, mink oil patched with the same fabric as the .50.

T - B/ .36, .50, .45 and .62.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
Re: What gun this season?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:34:07 PM »
My most often "grab and go" hunting gun is my .62 cal fowler.  In CA we have to hunt with lead-free projectiles. I have two guns set up for lead-free options. One is my fowler where I can use ITX lead-free shot, or ITX lead-free roundball. I have a .50 cal Isaac Haines style rifle that shoots ITX .487 roundball tolerably well.  But I like the versatility of a smoothbore, and I seem to shoot my PA folder better than my rifle for some strange reason.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
My most often "grab and go" hunting gun is my .62 cal fowler.  In CA we have to hunt with lead-free projectiles. I have two guns set up for lead-free options. One is my fowler where I can use ITX lead-free shot, or ITX lead-free roundball. I have a .50 cal Isaac Haines style rifle that shoots ITX .487 roundball tolerably well.  But I like the versatility of a smoothbore, and I seem to shoot my PA folder better than my rifle for some strange reason.

K

On another site, one of the members re-printed the law concerning lead-free projectiles and it stated 'by' 2019.  Perhaps the laws differ in different locations.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »
I'm using my 10 bore Chamber's New England fowling gun. Round balls or shot, it's a game getter.  Deer are usually within 50 yards, and black bear much less than that. My last one was 10 yards away.  Right now I'm going after ducks and geese on my beaver pond.

Matt / PA

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 10:49:59 PM »
For deer and fall turkey here in PA it will be the same rifle.....
.45 cal JP Beck bench copy of an original built by Ron Luckenbill.   47 1/4" custom Rayl barrel.  My favorite of all my guns and it's a shooter! 
(Looks a little shiny in the pics because I had just waxed it up...she usually doesn't look that snazzy  ;) )

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 12:38:54 AM »
 For small game I use a 36. Deer my little 24 in Oct/round smooth bore. 62 caliber. It's perfect for stalking in the swamps. Also great in a pop-up blind. One fast handling little gun. Oldtravler

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:47:13 AM »
Daryl, In 2008, it started with the Condor area lead ban for big game, (which banned lead from only a fifth or so of the states hunting zones). Then in 2015 they started rolling out a full lead ban statewide. As of 2016, All upland game throughout the entire state requires lead-free. In 2019, big game will be added and the State will be 100% lead-free, but my local deer hunting zone has been lead free since 2008 due to it being a historic Condor habitat, although there has not been a condor here in at least a hundred years...

K
Galations 2:20

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:17:17 PM »
Beautiful rifle, Matt.  Eye candy, IMHO.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »
Beautiful long skinny rifle, Matt. Love it.

I have one of those with a .50 bl. 48" made by the late, Don Getz of this forum. RIP

image hosting website free

Daryl

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
Master Blaster. 29 1/2  swamped .58 Colerain barrel. Chambers lock. Season a week and a half away. Not very pumped up about it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:30:33 PM »
Love the eye candy!  And Mike, get yourself enthused, buster!

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 04:00:47 AM »
I'll be using my Tip Curtis made .54 cal Flintlock with a 42" Colerain radius bottom groove barrel.

Using 100 grns. ffg Goex pushing a .530 round ball with a mink oil pillow ticking patch.

That is a Rich Pierce flint in its jaw. Still have a few left I'll be using this year too.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:06:45 AM by Smo »
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »
Daryl, In 2008, it started with the Condor area lead ban for big game, (which banned lead from only a fifth or so of the states hunting zones). Then in 2015 they started rolling out a full lead ban statewide. As of 2016, All upland game throughout the entire state requires lead-free. In 2019, big game will be added and the State will be 100% lead-free, but my local deer hunting zone has been lead free since 2008 due to it being a historic Condor habitat, although there has not been a condor here in at least a hundred years...

K

And that's exactly how we lose gun rights.Chipping away little by little.

Longwalker

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 06:04:44 PM »
Hi Folks,
Had a successful hunt this past weekend, killed a nice young buck with my Bucks county styled rifle. Shot centered the brisket and pierced the heart, quick, clean kill. Really all I could hope for!
What a thrill, even after 47 years of hunting it still gets my heart trip hammering! Never gets old big game or small.
I hope everyone has as satisfying and successful season.
Best of luck to all,
Harry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 10:12:48 PM »
Love the eye candy!  And Mike, get yourself enthused, buster!
Never even loaded the gun.... :-\
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »
Always spoilt for choice.

Mebbe this, now it's repaired?

Or maybe Dudley, the short one...had my Jeager out.  Longrifles in the shed...2 of them. Always think I'd like to try something else, whatever I'm carrying!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »
99.9 percent of the time it will be Samson in my hands. A Don Bruton 62 cal iron mounted rifle made from his Boone pattern.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
Nice!
Daryl

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 10:40:07 PM »
I could show ya'll a fine picture of my rifle but every time I nail one of those nice venison on the hoof's, this old man is just too darn toot'n tired and busy to take any pictures! ;D
Joel Hall

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:59 PM »
Very nice guns and great deer.  Got back from WV Sunday evening with no deer.  Saw a few but got no shot; hunted with a friend using a bow.  We both got skunked.  Did see a couple of bears, however.  We were sitting on a low ridge when we saw #2.  He was enormously fat.  We watched him for a few minutes and he suddenly noticed us and came up to say "Howdy".  He stopped about 30 yards from us and studied us.  Satisfied, he continued ambling to his destination.  He was still hanging around when fading light sent us back home.  Don't know what caused it, but several coyotes were singing over the next hill.  Carried my .50, alas.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 05:33:09 PM »
For squirrels it will be my .40 with 30 gr of 3F, .390 bal and .015 ticking patch.

For close in deer and turkey hunting it will be my 12ga English fowler. For deer it will be loaded with 100 gr of 1F, a wool wad and a .690 ball patched with .025 denim. I have the gun sighted in at 35 yards.

If I can see 100 yards in one of the stands on the land I hunt will take my rather crude first build, a .54 I call Sorta' Beck. I was trying to make a Beck rifle and missed the mark a good bit. Anyway it is a mighty fine shooter with 85gr of 2F, a wool wad and a .530 ball wrapped in .015 ticking.

Last weeks deer;

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 10:30:11 PM »
Great deer kills, guys.  I just hope I don't have to eat an old boot or tin can again this year.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
Great deer kills, guys.  I just hope I don't have to eat an old boot or tin can again this year.
I'm eatin' a cow! :P

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 09:32:21 PM »
I'm eatin' a cow! :P
[/quote]

My friend DID give me a nice package of Kentucky "elk burger".

Longwalker

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
Hanshi,
I would love to be eating some Kentucky elk, Just never have been drawn in the Tag lottery. I'll keep trying though. I will be going back to Colorado next September for the Muzzle-loading Elk and Deer season (if I get drawn!) though. Who knows, maybe Elk will be on the menu next Thanksgiving!

I smoked some Venison loin and a couple of venison steaks over the weekend. Wow, really good! Gonna have to try to get a doe during the late muzzle-loader season here in KY.

Hope you all have a good season and Nice Holidays!
Harry